The start of a sermon

     This week is James 3 and so you start reading the chapter and praying for something to jump out at you.  I am so thankful that James gives us built in outlines and illustrations.  Sometimes I try too hard to dream up something when that something is already there.  James 3 gives us the horse, the ship, and the fire and relate them all to the tongue.  A horse that needs a bit to control it.  A ship that needs a rudder to steer it.  A fire needs oversight or it can quickly get out of control.  Now throw in the tongue into all those illustrations.  Are there conversations where you need to say "whoa?"  Are there conversations that need to be steered in another direction?  Are there conversations that you are thankful for friends who help you put out that conversation that could easily get out of control?  


     I was able to put myself in a totally different worship experience than I am used to.  It was tough not to go the direction of "they should do this and that" and keep in the moment of why I was there.  I realized how much I hate or am uncomfortable with dead air.  I do think there is a difference before being quiet before the Lord and just waiting for what is coming next.  I probably need to be quiet before the Lord more so when those times come I will keep my focus.


     "Consider it all joy"  I can't get that phrase out of my head from James 1.  Adam, are you going to be squeezed in the near future that you need to have it cemented in your head so Christ-likeness comes out?  A little self talk.


Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...