Another day at the homestead...

     Review of 1 John.  1st test of a "real" Christian - the incarnation of Jesus.  2nd test of a "real" Christian - confession of sin.  3rd test of a "real" Christian - obedience to Jesus' teaching.  I learned today that the word "keep" when it says "keep His commandments" means not just to dutifully obey because you could do that with a begrudging heart.  That word "keep" means to observe, to be watchful of, to be guarding as a precious thing.  So I am not "just" to keep His commandments but observe them in a way that I am so thankful for them and holding them as precious to my life.  I would be at a distinct disadvantage if I did not have them or obey them.


     John throws out that word "liar" again over the idea that you could say you are in the light, right with God, but say it is okay to hate your brother at the same time.  That would be open disobedience to the command to love one another and even to the point of loving our enemies.  It is like we are saying, "I believe in you Jesus but I am not going to do that."  That kind of hate blinds us; that kind of disobedience of Jesus blinds us to see the world and others with Jesus' eyes.  It also stops the transformation that needs to be happening in your life.  I love the line "the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining."  It shows that there is a process going on here in the life of a Christian.  Grace is given to us by God as we grow in Christlikeness.  


     I think that is why John goes into this section giving 3 stages of Christian life.  Little children, young men, and fathers.  Each group needs something.  Little children need to be reminded that their sins are forgiven and how important it is to get to know the Father.  Young men need to be reminded that there is an enemy that needs to be defeated with the words of God.  Fathers need to be reminded to share their God experiences with little children and young men.


     My healing time at home is getting a little easier.  I am not so bored anymore.  I am thankful that I have been able to back off the pain medication and also am able to take more care of myself.  This sure allows Stephanie to get more sleep.  I will definitely not forget this medical sabbatical that has been given to me.  I can sit down for short periods of time if I lean forward, still taking the pressure off of my bottom.  I feel that God is healing me.


Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...