Sermon, all but ready to go...

     Why did God slow me down in James and especially chapter 5?  I think I know now.  I would have just plowed through this with the idea of physical healing and this is what you do.  It would have been right in line with what I was going through.  But God slowed me down to make 4 sermons out of 1 and then to have the extra time to look at the words and the context of this text to come to a very important point.  Even though it is a blessing and praiseworthy of God to be relieved of a physical ailment, it is even more important and a blessing and praiseworthy of God to be relieved of a weary soul.


     I wanted the Bible to say one thing but it really is talking about something else that is more important than what I wanted it to say.  In verse 13 James uses the contrast of two terms, suffering - weary or suffering of the soul, with cheerful - well being of the soul to set the stage for the passage.  In verses 14 and 15 he goes to another level of suffering of the soul where you call upon others to pray for you, to come alongside of you, to add any physical comfort available to you.  At this point you are very vulnerable to sin, perhaps to grumble, complain, be bitter, doubt, covet or let out some unwholesome talk.  In verse 16 James gives us the prescription of how not to get to that state by being open about our faith and not isolating ourselves with the body of Christ that we are a part of.  James ends it with an illustration in verses 17 and 18 that deal with a man (Elijah) who prayed, but for what?  Elijah was praying for the nation of Israel that was not physically sick but spiritually sick.  They were cold to God, dry to God, weary souls that lead to many sins.  And then he prayed for the rain to replenish the land just like God could replenish their souls.  It reminded of the lyrics of the song "Downpour."



Downpour 
here where self and sin and sadness 
have displaced the oil of gladness 
here in barren desert madness, 
weary and dry 
cannot run or walk, I’m crawling, 
but through shame I hear You calling 
clouds of mercy, raindrops falling 
downpour, I need a downpour 

come, come like the rain, 
wash every stain, fall upon me Jesus 
river of God, flooding with joy, 
rise up in me, Jesus 

into my heart’s desolation 
flows the water of salvation 
fill this lowly wasteland with the 
shower from above 
only You can quench my thirsting, 
fill until my heart is bursting 
Jesus ever be the first thing 
downpour, I need a downpour 
________ 
Words by James McDonald, Music by Andi Rozier. 
© Copyright 2006 Harvest Songs. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

     I remember the first time we sang this in church.  A dear friend of mine was so taken by the words that he raised his hands to heaven and I watched while leading from the front this soul invite the rain from God.  It was one of the most genuine acts of worship I have ever seen.  He was calling out to God and asking for refreshment for a weary soul.  May the rain come.

Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...