Psalm 118:5-9, which reads...

Psalm 118:5-9 are the verses for today, which read,

"From my distress I called upon the LORD;
The LORD answered me and set me in a large place.
 
The LORD is for me; I will not fear; 
What can man do to me? 
The LORD is for me among those who help me; 
Therefore I will look with satisfaction on those who hate me. 
It is better to take refuge in the LORD 
Than to trust in man. 
It is better to take refuge in the LORD 
Than to trust in princes."
 The couplets of Psalms and also Proverbs hold such power in each thought.  Let's look at them individually this morning to see what we can glean.

"From my distress I called upon the LORD;
The LORD answered me and set me in a large place."
 Distress comes from the words "curse" and "stomach" so you are sick about something that is happening.  So where does God take you?  He takes you to a place to see the bigger view on the matter or pointing you to His point of view which is usually different than yours.

"The LORD is for me; I will not fear;
What can man do for me?"

 The first phrase is just two words.  "The LORD" is one word and the other is the rest, "is for me; I will not fear."  So if God is for me then part of the package is not being afraid.  When we lay what man can do alongside of what God can do, it is no comparison.  This is one of those large or high places He takes us to.

"The LORD is for me among those who help me; 
Therefore I will look with satisfaction on those who hate me."
 God does send along others in our times of distress.  I have heard it many times that when you are in trouble, that is when you find out who your real friends are.  It is usually less than what you think.  God sent them to help you see or inspect or perceive better those who oppose you.

"It is better to take refuge in the LORD
 Than to trust in man."
 It is better to trust, confide, and hope in God; to flee to Him for protection than it is to do the same in man.  A simple comparison that we need to be reminded of.

"It is better to take refuge in the LORD 
Than to trust in princes."
 The Psalmist ups the ante when he changes just any ole' man to a man who is a royal man.  The word includes the idea of someone who has some money.  You cannot serve two masters comes to mind.
  I think the central theme here is to trust in the Lord.  Trust what He says.  Be thankful for those who come in the name of the Lord that help us continue to see this from God's point of view from the high places.  Keep that comparison clear that God's ways are much higher than man's ways, even rich man's ways and go with God.

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...