1 Timothy 1:8...

Today's verse is 1 Timothy 1:8 which reads,

"But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully,..."

Some had become experts in the law and about the law but were not practicing the law.  Sound familiar.  I grew up with some who could play the part and recite the part of being a Bible knowing person but when it came to living it, that was another story.  Actually you didn't see it unless you stumbled upon it when they didn't know you were there.  The act was polished up for church and church events and church members to see.  At first it made me mad but now it saddens me that some of them probably thought that is what you did, you act this way here and you can act however you want in all those other places and it was okay.

"But we know..." - it is to know but also to see, to observe, to have seen

"...that the Law..." - pertaining to God's standard

"...is good,..." - beautiful, handsome, excellent, eminent, choice, surpassing, precious, useful, suitable, commendable, admirable - much to observe about God's standard given to us

"...if one uses..." - to receive a loan - so it is borrowed from God - using something that is God's to your advantage

"it lawfully,..." - properly

So I have seen God's standard and it excellent and choice and surpassing anything else and I am borrowing what is God's and paying it back with living His way.  Just my stab at it but it does go along with Romans 12:1 which reads,

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual act of worship."

Am I living my "whole" life in a way that pleasing God because I not only know the Law but "see" that the Law is the way to live?

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...