Psalm 122:1-4 says...

Today's verses are Psalm 122:1-4 which reads,

1 - I was glad when they said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord." 
2 - Our feet are standing within your gates, O Jerusalem,
3 - Jerusalem, that is built as a city that is compact together; 
4 - to which the tribes go up, even the tribes of the Lord--an ordinance for Israel--to give thanks to the name of the Lord."

What a great call to worship!

Verse 1 has the preparation of joy and gladness about the opportunity (anticipation) to go to the house of the Lord.  This was required of them 3 times a year.

Verse 2 gives the element of a place where they had gathered - the holy city of Jerusalem.

Verse 3 tells us that the place that they gathered was large enough but it was tight (compact) so you could probably feel the presence of others.

Verse 4 lists for us who was gathering - the tribes of the Lord and also that his was in obedience to the Lord to gather and give thanks.

I am praying for myself and the people who worship in my local house of worship to mirror these verses.  I pray that I and others would have joy and gladness as we thought about the next time that we were to gather together.  I pray that I and others would follow through and place ourselves wherever we were worshiping and that so many of us were here that it seemed "compact" but in a good way.  I pray that I and others would see people who represent many backgrounds assembling but with one obedience to one Lord.

So how do I approach my time of worship in my local church?  Would these verses be a good description of me?  There is a big difference between going to church hoping that it will fulfill something in me (consumerism) and going to church to fulfill something that God has said (obedience).  "I got to go because God says so," may have been our cry when we were teenagers but now we know that it is so much more than just going.  It is being prepared to go.  It is having anticipation of going.  It is joining with others who are going.  It is having the right attitude and actions for going.  We are gathering to give thanks to God.  We are not "just" going to church this morning.

"God, help me to mirror these verses this morning with others in the house of the Lord."
  
Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...