Proverbs 4:20-27 says..."Oh be careful little eyes..."

Today's verses are Proverbs 4:20-27 which read,

20  "My son, give attention to my words;
Incline your ear to my sayings.
21  Do not let them depart from your sight;
Keep them in the midst of your heart.
22  For they are life to those who find them
And health to all their body.
23  Watch over your heart with all diligence,
For from it flow the springs of life.
24  Put away from you a deceitful mouth
And put devious speech far from you.
25  Let your eyes look directly ahead
And let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you.
26  Watch the path of your feet
And all your ways will be established.
27  Do not turn to the right nor to the left;
Turn your foot from evil."


Oh, the wisdom of the Proverbs.  There are so many good things here that are timeless to our lives.

Verses 20 - 22 start with our focus on the Word of God.  We need to know it and understand it and obey it.  Our eyes and our ears and our heart are to be engaged in this focus and it brings health to our body.  I think this is talking of health to our body totally (physically, spiritually, emotionally, mentally).

Verse 23 gives focus to the desires of our heart.  They need to be in check because the desires we have will be the direction that we take.  Make sure those desires are godly.

Verse 24 gives focus for us to watch our mouth and tongue and what we actually say.  We all know how our tongue can either make the situation better or make it worse.  We all know how our tongue can be used as a refreshing spring or a blazing fire.

Verse 25 gives focus to us about the intake of our eyes.  I love the emphasis on "look directly ahead" and "gaze be fixed straight in front of you."  This is so true in the world that we live that we need to divert our vision.  We need to change the channel or many times shut it off.

Verses 26 and 27 finish with giving focus to where we go.  It is like this is the precursor to the kid's song we learned in Sunday School so long ago:  "Oh be careful little eyes what you see, or ears that you hear, or hands what you touch, or feet where you go."  The writer of the Proverbs knows that our feet are another tool for good or for evil.

All this comes back to what we are putting in our hearts.  If I am focusing on the Word of God, it will assist me greatly on my desires and my words and my eyes and my feet.  If I saturate myself with my eyes and ears and heart in the Word, I have many more tools given by God to keep holy desires and a tongue that blesses instead of curses and eyes that take it what is right and pure and feet that continue to take me with the gospel of peace to others.

That all important Word of God: that love letter from Heaven: that instruction paid by the life of Christ;  that book where the words will never fade.

"Oh be careful little eyes what you see!Oh be careful little eyes what you see!For the Father up above is looking down in love,So be careful little eyes what you see!"

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...