Revelations 1:17-19 reads,...

Today's verses are Revelation 1:17-19 which read,

17 - When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man.  And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, 
18 - and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades. 
19 - Therefore write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after these things.


John has been given a "revelation" which literally means "to lay bare," "fully expose" Jesus Christ.  He will write of what he has seen (eye witness of Jesus Christ) and of the things which are (the condition of the 7 churches) and the things which will take place (the details of the 2nd coming of the Messiah).

What is interesting here is how Jesus described Himself.  John acts appropriately in the presence of Jesus.  John fell at His feet.  "What if Jesus walked into our church, what would He see?"  He would see us on our faces until He told us to get up.  Philippians 2:10 says, "...so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."   So "at the name of Jesus" you bow and in Jesus' presence ("When I saw Him,...") you are flat on your face.

"Do not be afraid;..." - do not be fearful of Me 
"...I am the first and the last,..." - I am the fulfillment of all things 
"...and the living One;" - our God is not dead by His own admission 
"...and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore,..." - the resurrection is crucial and critical to our understanding and faith in Jesus Christ 
"...and I have the keys of death and of Hades." - a key opens the door to places and Jesus has the keys to these places - He is in charge

"Therefore" - because of all of that - "write these things" John.  Put this down, communicate it to others, let the world know.  John was instructed to share with the world Jesus and our instruction is the same today.

Am I fearful to speak of Him?  What do I need to fear if I am in His presence?  The One who is the author and finisher of my faith.  The One who is alive and alive evermore.  The One who has been resurrected from the dead.  The One who has the keys and opened the door of eternal life to me.  I need to be sharing and writing and telling others about this Jesus while I have breath to do so.  

Have you seen Jesus?  Fall face down before Him in worship and then get up and tell the world about Him.

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...