Psalm 62:5-8 says...

Today's verses are Psalm 62:5-8 which read,

5 - My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him.
6 - He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be shaken.
7 - On God my salvation and my glory rest; the rock of my strength, my refuge is in God.
8 - Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.
 
Let's look at some of the words in this passage.

"soul" - it comes from the word for breath or to take a breath
"wait in silence" - a silence to cleanse or cut away
"only" - indeed in an emphatic sense that is stable
"hope" - a cord to hold onto, looking for
"rock" - large boulder
"salvation" - deliverance
"stronghold" - high place, secure height, retreat
"shaken" - totter or slip
"refuge" - shelter, place to flee for protection

Let's go back through it:

With my next breath that is given by God, I put myself in a quiet place before Him to continue to cleanse me and cut away anything that is not of Him.  I come to Him because He is stable.  He is the cord that I am holding onto.  He is a large rock that I can climb upon that has brought the deliverance of my soul.  He is a high place of security that I can retreat to.  When I am in that place, because of Him, I will not totter or slip.  So I trust in Him and I spill out myself unto God because He is the shelter that I flee to for protection.

Those words point out the importance of our time with God.  We all love the things about God in the passage - hope, rock, salvation, stronghold, refuge - but what comes before all of that in the verses?  A time alone with God to allow Him to cleanse or cut away anything in our lives. 

I tell people who respond to a call of God in a service, young or old, to continue to keep their heart tender to God.  It is so easy for us to become the stronghold and refuge and rock instead of God.  It is so easy for us to portray ourselves as the "strong ones" instead of needing God who is "the" strong one. 

When you get in that quiet place; when God starts to point out things to be cleansed or cut away; keep a tender heart to allow that to happen so that you can go to His high place and sit on His shoulders instead of your own.

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...