1 Corinthians 9:19-23 says,...

Today's verses are 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 which read,

19 - For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 
20 - To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;
 21 - to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 
22 - To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. 
23 - I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker in it.

Why does Paul do this?  Why does he make himself "a slave to all,..." "...as a Jew,..." "...as without law,..." and "...became weak,...?"  Paul did this so that he "...might win..." the all, Jews, Gentiles, and the weak.

The meaning of the word "win" is the word "gain" or "acquire."  Paul's desire is to see more gained or acquired.  Gained or acquired for what reason?  Verse 22 says to "...save some."  The meaning of the word "save" is not the same word for the word for salvation that means deliverance.  The meaning of this word "save" means "to rescue from danger or destruction."  So Paul is not saying that he is going to save in the light of salvation of souls but he wants to see more gained or acquired from danger or destruction. 

How does this happen?  In verse 23 he gives the answer, "...for the sake of the gospel,..." and that points to Jesus.  You can not have the gospel without Jesus.  But Paul adds, "...that I may become a fellow partaker in it."  Being a "fellow partaker" is someone (literally - a joint partner) who shares the gospel (Jesus) with another and you partake in the fulfilling the Great Commission. (Matthew 28:16-20).
   
How does he do this?  In verse 19 he becomes a servant of others.  In verse 20 he understands the culturally religious.  In verse 21 he understands the pagan (the non-religious).  In verse 22 he sympathizes with those suffering.  Namely, he thinks and acts on behalf of an another to have the opportunity to tell them of Another (Jesus) who has salvation power.  He does this so they may be gained from destruction.

That is simply what evangelism is.  So do I think of others that way throughout my day?  Do I think of others that way when I enter into an establishment?  Or am I just thinking of myself and what I want and what my agenda is for the day?  Do I think of others that way as I work alongside of them?  Do I think of others that way as I study alongside of them?  Do I think of others that way as I eat alongside of them?

God made us in such a way that we can understand and serve and sympathize so that we can partake in the same thing that our Lord Savior Jesus Christ did and did for us.  He brought people to Himself and we can bring people to Jesus if we will see them as someone to gain or save from destruction.

Ask the Lord to change your eyes and heart about the people you will see today.

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...