Proverbs 1:1-7 says,...

Today's verses are Proverbs 1:1-7 which read, 

v.1-6 - The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel:  to know wisdom and instruction, to discern the sayings of understanding, to receive instruction in wise behavior, righteousness, justice and equity; to give prudence to the naive, to the youth knowledge and discretion, a wise man will hear and increase in learning, and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel, to understand a proverb and a figure, the words of the wise and their riddles.

We start this morning our time in the book of Proverbs.  These have been given to us through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, God-breathed, to King Solomon, the son of King David, both kings of the united nation of Israel before it split into two kingdoms of north and south.  There is a list of "to"s here that give us direction on the purpose of the book and what is to come.
  • "to know wisdom and instruction" - a study of what is right
  • "to discern the sayings of understanding" - a laying of what is right up alongside of all thought to bring a judgment to your response to it
  • "to receive instruction in wise behavior" - a time for others to speak to us about how we are living
  • "to give prudence to the naive" - information needed by all
  • "to the youth knowledge and discretion" - information to those growing up
  • "to understand a proverb and a figure" - the wise man will continue to hear and increase in learning and counsel

It is a book of study on many levels to many people.  It is a book that takes a good hard look at our behaviors.  How do our behaviors line up with God's righteousness, justice, and equity?  It is a book for the naive, the youth, and the wise.    The naive need common sense.  The youth need parental direction.  The wise need to apply personal application of what they are speaking to others.  The wise person is one who is still increasing in their learning even though they are deemed wise.
Solomon then gives us the verse that is the thesis of this book in verse 7. 

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Wisdom starts with a reverence for who God is.  A wise person accepts wisdom and instruction from God while the fool discards it.  A wise person is submissive to the God while the fool bows only to himself.  A wise person recognizes that there is more than just himself while the fool focuses just on himself.  A wise person says, "There is a God and I am going to listen and follow after Him because He is God."  The fool says, "There may be a God but I am going to do my own thing no matter what God says."

Is God, God of your life?  Is He truly God or is He and what He gives us as truth and instruction and wisdom just some optional things to know and follow?  What is the weight of His words on your life?  Do they bring fear or reverence to honor with your words and actions?  When I bow to God, I start the process of really living a life of wisdom.  When I bow to God, I open up my life to that which I can not come upon by myself.  When I bow to God, I receive the love of God that comes from knowing and applying His truth.  The fool is missing out on all of this.  The fool sees God's instruction as more rules to limit us from self pleasure rather than rules to help us love Him more and experience more of His love because we know Him more.  May the proverbs dig deep into us and may we be wise and not fools.  Let's pray. 

"Lord, You are the beginning of knowledge.  I acknowledge You as God.  You are above me.  You are over me.  You are superior to me.  You are to be listened to and obeyed.  You give all of this because you love me.  Help me to see that when I learn and obey and correct ways that are not in line with you that I will experience more of the love that is You.  Help me to see my foolish ways as I walk through another book of love that You have supplied us with.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...