2 John 12, 13 says,...

Today's verses are 2 John 12, 13 which read,

"Though I have many things to write to you, I do not want to do so with paper and ink; but I hope to come to you and speak face to face, so that you joy may be made full.  The children of your chosen sister greet you."

John ends his letter with something that I think we have played down in importance with the technology of our day.  I feel we have lost the need to communicate face to face.  We have relied on emails and texts to convey the messages we need to get out.  Some of those messages should not go via email or text but should be face to face with the one you love.  

Something gets lost when we are not face to face.  We can so easily misread the tone of the words on the page or the screen.  We don't have the necessary immediate feedback to know how to respond accordingly.  Those words seem so inadequate compared to a face to face meeting with someone.

I was introduced to this present church through an electronic ad I found on the internet.  I searched out the church's website and information about the town through an internet search.  I sent in my resume and sermons via email and YouTube accounts.  I received an email response back and some further questions to be answered.  I answered those questions through email and then responded later with another email if the first email had been received.  All of this was happening digitally but what a difference when I was able to speak to someone on the phone and hear a voice!  Then came a Skype interview in which Stephanie and I could see (very blurry) the people who were on the search team.  Now we had sound and sight and it was great but it did not compare to when we were asked to come in person.  We had sound, sight and the ability to touch (to be in the presence of) the search team and overseers.  How necessary it was to be in the same room.

Our electronics have hindered us from really "knowing" people and we have settled for the "knowing of" people.  I think this is way I love Sundays so much and also all those church activities that put us in the same room.  It is possible to know everything that is going on at the church by email and Facebook and keep up with important announcements but it doesn't replace the time together when we can talk face to face.  Even though John didn't have Facebook, email, twitter, instagram, and video chat, he was still struggling with the need to be in the presence of those he was writing to.

Here are some questions to ponder.  Is this something I should speak to the person face to face?  Is the material important enough that they need to be able to read my face and not just my words?  Am I using the excuse of digital contact to be sufficient instead of the better option of being in the same room?  Do I long to be face to face with my brothers and sisters in Christ just as I long to be face to face with my Lord?  If I increased by face to face time (not the Apple product) with others, would it change how I communicate digitally?

"Lord, I know that I have sent things over the web that would have been so much better in person.  Thank You for this technology but thank You even more for the ability to have relationships with others that go from 'knowing of' to 'knowing' those we love.  Help me to have more face to face time so it affects even my digital communication with others.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

God gave us a good weather window to travel...yeah God!!!

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon