Saturday, up and going, ready to start again more slowly...

    The picture is of me and a good friend who last time this year were riding our bikes every chance we could.  He broke his ankle earlier this year and I came down with cancer.  A couple sorry looking guys hobbling down the hospital hall.  We still talk of next year and getting back on the bikes.


     I have been recovering at home and have let my bowels rest since arriving here.  I have received more sleep than I had been getting and am feeling more restful.  This morning I will test to see if my insides are ready for some outside food.  Just jello and applesauce and the like for the next couple of days and we will see.  On my medical calendar for the week is another visit from the home-care nurse and also an appointment with the oncologist doctor who will give me the verdict on when chemo will start again.  


     Unbelievably I have continued to work on that next sermon to start the book of 1 John.  It will focus on the author and the goals of the book.  All of the disciples had radical transformations and John is no different.  He is usually depicted in character by the picture of the Last Supper found in many of our churches.  He has been painted as a meek, weak, somewhat feminine kind of guy, leaning with dove like eyes gazing up at Jesus.  Pictures sure make an impression that many times supersedes what we find in the Scripture words itself.  John is described in Scripture as one of the "sons of Thunder".  He comes from a family that not only had a fishing business but it went beyond just family members running it, they had employees.  John was one who wanted to call down fire from heaven to do away with those who didn't receive Christ.  John was one who was discussing along the road about who was the greatest among the disciples.  John's mother spoke up to Jesus requesting that her sons be given positions of privilege, on His right and left.  John was the one trying to stop someone from doing something in Christ's name just because he was not part of their group.  This picture of John is much different than the picture we have seen on the wall so many times.  John needed some Christ-like transformation.


     His gospel, and epistles, and revelation show that transformation.  John not only speaks the most of God and Jesus in the terms of the great love they have for us but John also gives some of the most straight forward talk about truth.  His writing is very "black and white" when it comes to sin.  This takes us back to the two essential elements of "speaking the truth in love."  


     I guess you can see by this post that my mind is still working.  I am thankful for the time I have to study the word.  I am so looking forward to this series of books to preach from.  I hope and pray that you have a great and productive Saturday.


Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...