1 John 1:8-10 says...

Today's verses are 1 John 1:8-10 which read,

v.8 - If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Yesterday John told us that a genuine Christian is someone who has "fellowship" with God.  Fellowship is a relationship that is formed because of something in common that has impacted us and changed our relationship with those in that association.  The connection is described as like comrades in the foxhole to the end.  The common element for that kind of fellowship with God is the grace given by Him when He gave His one and only Son, Jesus Christ to be the sacrifice for our sin.  Our response to this type of fellowship with God is a walking with Him.

Today John tells us that a genuine Christian is someone who is continuing aware of why we need that common ground of Jesus and that is sin.  There are some options here of wrong thinking.  "I sinned before but not anymore, I am above that."  "There is no such thing as sin, it is all subjective."  "I don't need to admit that I am a sinner to receive salvation."  All of these are false.  John says that we are deceiving ourselves if we go along with any of these.  We are sinners in need of a Savior.

v.9 - If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The genuine Christian is one who recognizes sin and continues to take sin to Jesus.  To "confess" is to say the same thing about sin as God does; to acknowledge His perspective about sin.  We are living in a world that is "redefining" sin or even declaring that somethings are not sin anymore.  What are we doing when we "redefine" what is sin or not sin by the Scriptures?

v.10 - If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

If I "redefine" sin to not be sin, then I am not a sinner by "my" definition and we declare that God's statement about sin is wrong.  Therefore God is a liar about this one.  "He may have been right at one time but not anymore.  Times have changed and God just needs to catch up with the times."  It was really hard to type sentences like that because they are so wrong.  The result of that kind of thought is that His word in not in us. 

Do you see a downfall of our society here?  Instead of confessing sin, we are playing with it.  Instead of saying it is what God says it is, we are going through societal hoops to make it acceptable.  What do we gain?  Maybe some new friends and larger attendances in our churches, but what do we lose?  How about fellowship with God, cleansing from our sin, and the Word guiding us.

"Lord, thank you that I am forgiven but help me not to forget that I am a forgiven sinner.  I am someone who realizes that You are holy and righteous and that my righteousness and holiness only comes from You.  I cherish my fellowship with You and Your word guiding me.  May my actions and words reflect it today.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...