Monday Reflections from the first Sunday of the year...



The Monday post is a time to reflect on what happened over the weekend and especially on Sunday.

It is football season and so let's throw in a quote from one of my all time favorite football movies, "Remember The Titans."  Coach Boone, played by Denzel Washington, is on the football field at night prior to the first game of the season and he says to Doc, played by Gregory Alan Williams, 

"Yeah, this is my sanctuary right here.  All this hatred and turmoil all around us, but this...this is always right.  Struggle.  Survival.  Victory and defeat.  It's just a game, Doc, but...I love it."

I think that scene is about the closest I can get to what I feel when I walk into a sanctuary a couple hours prior to the service.  I look forward to those who will come through the doors; I love hearing the singing of God's family of our great God; and I am amazed at the power of His word to be used to continue to transform us into Christ-like ambassadors for the week ahead of us.  It might be the day that someone confesses their depravity because of sin, calls out to Christ as their Savior, and commits to an obedient life that glorifies God even if it means some radical changes.

Being the "coach" of the church, you get to call the plays and sometimes switch things up spontaneously.  You hear or see something that makes you "scratch" a certain order you were going to take and sketch up something new just prior to the kick-off time of 10:30 a.m.  This is what happened this Sunday.

A widow of the church, Judy, turned 78 on Sunday.  She serves our church in many ways but one of them is to prepare the bread and the juice for our monthly observance of the Lord's Supper.  She told the story of how she came 3 months early and weighed in at 2 pounds and 2 ounces.  She knew that her survival at that weight 78 years ago was nothing short of a miracle.  I thought, "This needs to be heard by all."  A quick addition to the Sunday line up included a picture of her up on the screens, a singing of "Happy Birthday"from the congregation, and then a time for her to share her story and her love for God.  I noticed sitting beside her was her Sunday School teacher and so an on the spot invitation was given for Kris to take the wireless mike and give a birthday prayer for someone she has worshiped alongside of for many years.  This was totally an "on the field" audible.  Maybe a better analogy is that God is the "coach" and I am His "quarterback."

I knew this would mean so much to Judy.  Why?  Because a coach and a quarterback know their players and teammates.  A pastor takes the time to see especially the ones of the congregation that blend into the woodwork of the pews.  The ones who are quieter than others.  The ones who don't look for recognition but need it unannounced at times.  I just can't believe at times that I get to be in this position to see that kind of stuff happen for others.  Somebody got to call the "birthday audible" this Sunday for Judy and it was me by being aware of those wonderful servants who have been put in my path that have so many more jewels in their heavenly crown than I will ever have.  I just get to point them out when the time is just right.  I get to make my way back up to the platform and inside myself say, "Touchdown!"  

I had the ball and I threw it to a very capable receiver, Judy, and with a great supportive block from Kris, Judy scored some points for her coach, Jesus.  Okay, maybe that is about as far as I should push that football analogy.  

I walk into that sanctuary like Coach Boone walks on that football field.  There are some phenomenal things that can happen when God's family gets together as a team and I am so thankful that I have been there to witness so many touchdowns for the glory of God.  

Adam


Comments

  1. great wisdom! following a "nudge" from the Holy Spirit to recognize a member of the church family is wonderful! bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...