I love music...



I love music.  I remember Christmases and receiving as a gift a little hand held AM/FM radio with its pull up antennae.  I would try to attach it to the handlebars of my bike so I could take that 9 volt powered box everywhere I went.   Later I would get a cassette player and then a boom box for my room.  Music was always playing in my life and it helped that I have an older brother who could play the guitar and the sounds of it and his voice would waft from his room into mine in the basement of our house on Lehman Road.  

I took a year of piano lesson from Mrs. Hosbeck (wish I would have taken more) and then moved onto the trumpet to follow my brother in the bands that our small class "D" school offered.  I would inherit the singing voices of my mother and father and later in life pick up the guitar to play as well I as play the piano.  Being a pastor of small churches, I was up front many times leading the songs of old and the new songs of the current times.

I am always looking for good music and I came across another church band from Australia.  Usually we think of the famous "Hillsong" group but this is another group called "City Alight."  Here is a quote from their website:  www.cityalight.com

"The sound of a church singing has preceded almost every great revival in church history. The church is God’s witness and representative on earth. Is there any wonder that a tremendous power comes about when the representative voice of God in the earth is singing.

We desire to get out of the way so the truth upon which all our songs are built can properly shine. We pray that the lyrics and melodies of these songs would fix eyes and hearts and minds on Jesus. We pray that our songs might join the many thousands of songs written through history to encourage the church, and when they have played their role, to make way for the next ones. And we rejoice that one day the only name left standing will be the name of Jesus, as it should be."
\
I love to hear a congregation sing.  I work hard to make the singers and instrumentalists on the platform to achieve  "CD" like balance but it is only to assist the church in lifting its collective voice to God.  I appreciate when a group comes together to write songs that congregations can sing easily but also are full of words right from Scripture and theologically sound.  This is what City Alight is doing so let me leave you with one of their songs called "Jerusalem."

 Adam

Acoustic version:



Fully powered and with lyrics:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...