Galatians 4:12-20 says,...

Today's verses are Galatians 4:12-20, which read,

v.12-14 - I beg of you, brethren, become as I am, for I also have become as you are.  You have done me no wrong; but you know that it was because of a bodily illness that I preached the gospel to you the first time; and that which was a trial to you in my bodily condition you did not despise or loathe, but you received me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus Himself.

Paul had just got done rebuking them for straying for the truth of salvation and now he appeals to them through the affection he has for them because of the affection they had showed to him.  Paul had some type of illness that put him in that region to recover.  The people there cared for him physically and apparently when he could not take care of himself.  I am so thankful for my wife who has done that for me during my bout with cancer and the major surgery I went through.  She did things that I am sure was not fun at all.

Paul does something that he always does, he preaches the gospel.  It does not matter what condition he is in or where he is, he preaches the gospel.  So they got the gospel message while they were caring physically for him.  See how important this message is that even when he was physically impaired or even when he was imprisoned Paul shared the gospel with the Roman guard.  


Do we look at our surroundings and make a determination that this would not be a good time to share the gospel?  Maybe the gospel message would be even more powerful in its impact if we went against our human feelings and followed where God had put us even if were not feeling the greatest.  Paul says that the impact it had on the Galatians was like an angel or Jesus Himself was presenting the message to the people.

v.15, 16 - Where then is that sense of blessing you had?  For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your eyes and given them to me.  So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?
  
Paul is asking where that gratitude has gone that was there that he was a witness too.  His illness may have affected his eyes and that may be why it was hard to look at him in the previous verses.  They were so thankful for the message that they would have given him part of themselves so he could keep going on.  Now there is the tremendous change that makes Paul in comparison their enemy.

We see how far the people had gone from hearing the gospel truth from Paul that did not harm them but actually came from a man who was sick but still shared it.  He could have been selfish and said, "I will share this message of truth when I feel better," but he didn't.  

Many people make this transition to hearing the gospel and then making a U turn to going back to their old way of life or something that is opposed to it.  Sometimes you are witnesses of what was before; what happened because of the gospel; and then what is now.

v.17, 18 - They eagerly seek you, not commendably, but they wish to shut you out so that you will seek them.  But it is good always to be eagerly sought in a commendable manner, and not only when I am present with you.
  
This is the work of Satan.  You have a new Christian and so Satan goes into overdrive to turn them around or steer them into some direction off of the gospel truth.  Satan will isolate the new believer that extreme group only has the truth and that you can only get the truth from them.  The truth of gospel lies with Christ and Christ alone.  Paul desires them to seek after it even when he is not around them because it isn't about Paul but about Christ.  He gave them the message of the gospel of truth to say "follow Christ" and not "you have to follow me."

v.19, 20 - My children, with whom I am again in labor until Christ is formed in you--but I could wish to be present with you now and to change my tone, for I am perplexed about you.
  
Paul is taking the time through this letter to tell them again of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  He is wishing he could be with them personally because he would change his tone probably because when you see that person your heart goes out to them and they can read more than just your words and you can read their response.  So much communication goes on when we are face to face than when just through the written word.  The word "perplexed" means "to be at wits end."
I can echo what Paul says here about the communication of the gospel.  I sure enjoy writing these devotionals but it is nothing like a Sunday morning when I can see you face to face.  There is a lot of communication going on even during the sermon that is two way that can't be expressed on the written page.  

The Galatians seem to have had a start with Jesus and then it got derailed and now Paul is going in with "round two."  He is committed to them not just answering the call of Christ but also their total surrender to Him.  May we as a church and as Christians have that same drive to not just tell people about Christ but see them mature in Christ even if it means caring for them when they are spirituality sick just as Galatians cared for Paul when he was physically sick.  Paul wasn't much to look at but care was given.  The Galatians were not much to look at because of their failures to stick with Jesus but care is given to them.

"Lord, may I see that situation You have put me in and see it as an opportunity to say something or do something as a witness of You.  May I also see those who have been pulled away by the pull of Satan and look for ways to care for them again with the gospel of the truth.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...