Galatians 2:20, 21 says...

Today's verses are Galatians 2:20, 21, which read,

v.20 - I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Paul has been addresses Peter face to face about the sin of hypocrisy.  Peter was saying one thing and doing another.  He was eating and having fellowship with the Gentile Christians and saying and showing it was completely okay with the gospel of Jesus Christ but then when other Jews showed up, he distanced himself from the Gentile Christians to show he truly didn't fully believe what he was saying about the gospel.  Paul has gone into a full argument about faith in Christ alone and no "add ons" to the gospel.

In this verse is the definition of what happened to Paul on the road to Damascus and what happens to us as we put faith in that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God.  Christ willingly died so that we could live.  When we come to faith in Christ, we willingly die to our self so that He can live through us.  Jesus completely surrendered Himself for us and we completely surrender ourselves for Him.  Our life is not our own anymore, it is Christ's. 

I think the key word is "now."  There is a transformation that has happened in my life because of Christ's death and resurrection and "now," (a change or transition) my physical life shows it.


v.21 - I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.

If I live my life in a way that I am working "for" my salvation then the "workings" for salvation become the god and not Jesus on the cross.  It was a fact that He died and rose again but it is not necessary "if" I can work my way into heaven.  Jesus did something He didn't have to do.  "Thanks Jesus, but I got this, I don't need You for salvation."  It is hard to type those very false words but that is what we are saying and doing when we say one thing and do another as Peter had done.

At a recent funeral I used these four verses when it came to receiving eternal life.  These are words from Jesus who died and rose again and I give these in light of a person working "for" their salvation rather than living in light of Jesus "being" our salvation.

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

John 10:9 - I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.

Luke 24:46-48 - and He said to them, "Thus is is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem, You are witnesses of these things."

John 11:25, 26 - Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die.  Do you believe this?"
 
"Lord, thank You for Paul who stood on Your word even when everyone else seemed to be following the influence of others.  Our culture is changing Lord and I see more times that we will need to have the courage of Paul ahead.  May I continue to raise the banner of Christ and Christ alone.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...