1 Thessalonians 2:13-16 says,...

Today's verses are 1 Thessalonians 2:13-16, which reads,

v.13 - For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.

Paul was a compassionate mother and also an instructive father to them.  The Thessalonians not only heard their words but they realized and accepted those words as from God.  Paul, Silas, and Timothy were just the messengers of the message.

The word of God is to perform something in us.  As we read it, as we hear it, as we study it, and as we sing it the word of God should continue to work in our lives to see further transformation to be Christ-like.  When the word of God gets "dry" in our lives we need to take notice very seriously.  Don't excuse this away.  Something has crept in that is robbing what the word of God is suppose to do.

v.14-16 - For you brethren, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, even as they did from the Jews, who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out.  They are not pleasing to God, but hostile to all men, hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved; with the result that they always fill up the measure of their sins.  But wrath has come upon them to the utmost.

The church in Thessalonica was not only following the example of Paul but also the Christian churches in Judea that were being persecuted for being Christian.  The persecution was coming from their own countrymen.  Does this sound familiar today?  I feel that are country has been influenced by those who want to see the Christian church driven out of our society. 


It is hostile what they are doing because it is hindering the message of God of getting out to the culture.  When the message of God is hindered from going forth, it is a hostile move.  It is not passive but it is active.  If there is a move to hinder the gospel from being spoken, I wonder who is behind that?  Wrath has come and will come to those who follow that path.

But the Thessalonica church has continued to stand in the midst of the persecution with the gospel message of Christ and also with lives that reflect that message.  Man's message continues to change.  His opinion and "the polls say" are ever on the move, but the word of the Lord stands forever.  I fear for churches who have messed with His word or are disregarding it as necessary in their practices.

On a final note, my first conference superintendent, Dale A. Woods passed away this week.  I remember him driving me to my first appointment in Roscommon, Michigan.  I was a senior in college, newly married, and looking at my first church.  He said to me, "Adam, love your people."  That was some of the best advice from an elderly minister who I knew was doing what he was telling me to do.  If I can't love then really I have nothing.  I can preach in a way that might appeal to many but if I don't have love then it is just a good show.  Many thanks to Dale for that timely wisdom from the word to me and I will be thankful for his physical example to follow.

"Lord, Your word is Your word.  It may have been written by men and spoken by men but it is Your word just going through that conduit.  Help us to keep strong in the word while others are actively trying to diminish it.  May Your word continue to perform a work in me.  Amen."
Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...