Friday Focus...possible final physical goodbyes but PTL for technology


This is a famous picture of "waving goodbye."  The sailors are waving goodbye from Elephant Island in Antartica to the party in the small boat to seek rescue for them.  They were part of the Endurance Expedition of 1916 led by Captain Shackleton.  The sad part of the picture is that this final physical wave was the last type of contact with those on the boat this side of heaven, Lord willing.

It is different today.  As Stephanie and I go through some possible final physical goodbyes with those dear to us, we have the opportunity to keep in touch through a phone call, text, social media, and video calls.  Even though we are not in the same room with the person or on the same island, to go with the above picture, we can still communicate in some shape or form.  Our world has truly changed since 1916.

As parents and grandparents, we have used this digital technology to communicate since our children started heading off to college.  How precious it is to get a video call from one of the grandchildren and hear them say, "I love you grandma and grandpa."  I have also used this means to further my ministry training with the online classes and cohorts.  It took me a little adjustment but once I got away from seeing the actual physical screen and focused on who was on the screen speaking back at me, I could communicate as if they were in the room.  There is so much more that can be gained when you add the image of a person to the words being spoken or typed.

We used this technology when I was diagnosed with cancer back in late 2010/early 2011.  It was a way to communicate with our congregation from home as I recovered and to our children who were miles away in college.  Seeing mom and dad talk about each step of the process helped them to know we were okay in the hands of God.  (By the way, this July will mark 8 years from surgery and all is well.  Praise the LORD!)

One communication that I want to keep going is with a man I have been talking to about Jesus.  We have always talked in person.  We have never called or texted each other.  This will be a gap to bridge as I depart physically from him.  I don't want him to feel like the picture above.  I want him to know that I am a phone call or text away and that I want to keep talking about Jesus with him.  I want to answer those questions from the Bible as he works through the Gospels.  I want to pray with him as I have done before for things that are heavy on his heart and mind.  

Would you pray with me about us making this switch from physical presence discipleship to digital presence discipleship?

I am praying the conversations will continue on.  I am also thankful for others in the church who have now been introduced into him life.  

The greatest blessing of my week so far has been the final gathering with the area pastors of LaSalle and Peru.  This group of ministers has been so beneficial to my soul.  Being in the midst of them as we pour over a passage of Scripture is a combination of edification and encouragement.  I pray to have this experience again, if a group is
already there or it needs to be created.  The gathering of the under-shepherds is so important to themselves and the local community.

If I am saying a physical goodbye to you in the near future, know that you have had a God ordained place in my life and maybe God will use this other created devise to keep us in touch.

Adam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...