Friday Focus...another one bites the dust (prayerfully not)


What is happening?

I have reached out to others for help in the area of pastoring and negotiating the position as the local leader of a body of believers, God's church.  Being located in smaller communities; great distances to places of further education; and resources that were preciously used elsewhere, it lead me to books first and then to the emerging internet.

At first the internet was too expensive and the books (many used) was the route I followed.  Now the books are expensive and the internet has become my more fiscally financial decision.  The books and the internet opened up to me others who were in my same position but a little further down the road.  I was able to glean from them matters of the heart and of the family of God.

If the author was very beneficial and the financials were planned out in advance, I might get to see this leader, in person, at a conference and listen from the "horse's mouth."  Some of these preachers and teachers became bigger than life to a small town pastor seeking to be fruitful for the kingdom of God.  I am not a "took it whole line and sinker" type of guy.  I didn't listen to webcast, read the book or come home from the conference and revamp the whole church structure.  I tried to take the principles, internalized them, and then apply them to what was in front of me.  Rarely did I ever go past buying the book and to purchasing any peripheral materials.  

Principles were always more important to me than programs.

I have watched another popular minister that I have read, watched, and been in the presence of seemingly be ousted from ministry.  The "finishing well" is very hard when it is based on the size of your congregation rather than the integrity of your life.  I am now watching to see how this person will respond.  Will the response be in accordance to God's word or will it follow the avenue of the world?  Will the recoil be submission to bring clarity to the matter or will it be the slinging of mud to make the water even murkier?  

Maybe the reality check here is that some can handle the spotlight that the world can shine toward them coupled with many in the church also giving support and some can not.  Our world says, "Bigger is better."  Does the church say the same thing?  Our world says, "God must be blessing because look at all that you have."  Does the church say the same thing?  Our world says, "Entertain us."  Does the church say the same thing?  

Over the span of history, who are the ministers who are finishing well?  What do the ministries they lead look like or what are the essentials applied to sustain spiritual health and maturity?  What guardrails are put in place by the leader him or herself to keep humble before the Lord and to not get sucked into the values of the world?  

As a pastor of a small church, I am not immune to the battles of the ego like one who serves a larger church.  May I be reminded again of some scriptures that relate to this position that I hold.

1 Timothy 4:16
Pay close attention to your life and your teaching;
persevere in these things,
for in doing this you will save both yourself and your hearers.

1 Peter 5:2-4
Shepherd God's flock among you,
not overseeing out of compulsion but willingly,
as God would have you;
not out of greed for money but eagerly;
not lording it over those entrusted to you,
but being examples to the flock.
And when the chief Shepherd appears,
you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

Now to spend some time in prayer for all the brothers and sisters who serve with me as we shepherd God's flock.

Adam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...