Friday Focus and some thoughts from Moody Founder's Week


Sometimes it is just one line from a sermon that jumps out at me.  A nugget is given that leads me to investigate further.  Usually what happens is I miss some of the present sermon because my thoughts can't get back to what the speaker is currently saying.  I am so thankful for rewind if I am watching it online live and the resources of archives.  Being at the actual event is sometimes a disadvantage to me.  I can't ask the speaker to stop until I get done with my thought processes and internet searches.

Colin Smith, senior pastor of Orchard Evangelical Church, spoke Monday night at the Moody Founder's Week conference and give me this question to think about..

"How do you wage war against sin in your life?"

He also asked about the flashlight you are using to view the crevices of your soul.  This was enough for me to contemplate this action of self-evaluation in relationship to the Scriptures.  He directed us to 1 Corinthians chapter 13 and the verses about "love is patient and love is kind."  I was challenged to take the opposite position and ask, "Am I impatient?" or  "Am I unkind?" and to go down the list to shed some light on the condition of my soul.  

I don't know how many times I have focused on the "lists" given to us by the Scriptures through these blog posts.  Studying the books of the Bible, chapter by chapter, and verse by verse make you slow down to look at each word to define it and apply it.  So let's take a quick look at a couple of these lists and turn on that flashlight.

Proverbs 6:16-19 - "The LORD hates six things; in fact, seven are detestable to Him:  arrogant eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,..."
  • Do I look onto others with prideful eyes?  Have I been allowing my tongue to slip into falsehoods?  
Galatians 5:19-21 - "Now the works of the flesh are obvious:  sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions,..."
  • Have I been flirting with flirting?  Have I put too much emphasis on any one thing or person?  Have I allowed bitterness to reside rather than resolve and has it grown into hatred, strife, or anger?
The great admonishment from this conference speaker is to take seriously the lists that God has given us to police ourselves so that we might live godly lives that give glory to Him.  Put some fresh batteries in that flashlight and shine it into the corners of your soul today.

Adam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...