Philippians 4:4-7 says,...

Today's verses are Philippians 4:4-7, which read, 

v.4 - Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!

It is hard to read that verse without singing it.  After the instruction to these two ladies in Philippi who need to forgive one another is this command that is obtainable after such forgiveness and return to unity.  We are to be a rejoicing people in the Lord.  We are to be known as a rejoicing people in the Lord.  What is your self evaluation of this?  Do people around you see you as a rejoicing person? 

v.5 - Let your gentle spirit be known to all men.  The Lord is near.

We are to have a forgiving spirit.  We are to rejoice.  We are to have a gentle spirit.  The gentle spirit encompasses a contentment and compassion toward others.  It is seen through our humility and willingness to suffer persecution without retaliation.  We are aware that the Lord is not far away in our lives but actually near.  The Lord is with us and observing our actions with all men.  Because of His presence, we want to give glory to Him with our response to others which mirrors His own. 

v.6 - Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God.

We are to have a forgiving spirit.  We are to be a rejoicing in the Lord people.  We are to have a gentle spirit to all men.  We are to be a praying people.  Rather than worry, we take those concerns to the Lord.  Our first response to a dilemma is to pray.  We thank Him for His provisions and we ask Him for His will in the pressing need that is before us.

v.7 - And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

What does all of this bring?  The peace of God which is more than we can comprehend and fully appreciate.  The peace of God guards, protects, and watches over our hearts and minds to keep them in line with Christ Jesus.  As we are a forgiving people; as we are a rejoicing people; as we are Jesus' compassionate action people; and as we are a praying people God's peace showers over all of us, our hearts and minds, to guard so that we can continue on in this manner no matter the circumstances.

Let's flip this over.  If I don't have a forgiving attitude and action upon my life then I won't rejoice; I won't be compassionate; and I won't be praying as I should because I something in my life is hindering the peace of God from protecting me.  If I allow unforgiveness to linger I will tend to rag on others rather than rejoice in the Lord; I will tend to be a grouch like Oscar in the garbage can on Sesame Street that no one wanted to be around rather than a gentle spirit before all men; and I will tend to protest my condition and situation rather than pray to God about it.  My heart and my mind will be in the prison of Satan's ways rather than protected by the peace of God for walking in His steps.  Let's pray. 

"Lord, oh how You love us.  You sent Your Son to die on a cross for our sins but Your love didn't stop with that one and sufficient act.  You continue to guide us with Your words of Scripture that show us Your love.  When we walk as You walk we experience even more of the unending love for us that surpasses our comprehension.  May I forgive so I can rejoice in You and be gentle onto others and come to You in prayer and receive Your peace as protection.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...