Philippians 3:12-16 says...

Today's verses are Philippians 3:12-16, which read,

v.12 - Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.

Paul has set down his "duffle bag of pride" which is dung and rubbish to be found in Christ.  As Paul lives in the righteousness of Christ, it is something that has yet to be made complete or perfect.  Paul presses on like a sprinter pushing every muscle for the finish line.  He wants to lay hold of something in the future that Christ Jesus has already laid hold of in the past for him.  Christ did something already that Paul is living for now and into the future. 

v.13, 14 - Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do:  forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Paul continues on with the sprinter or runner analogy.  The runner doesn't run looking back but his eyes are laser focused on the finish tape that is ahead of him.  Looking back is not true running form and slows you down to reaching the tape.  The sprinter has one focus and that is to get to that tape ahead of everyone else.  Paul has one focus to strain every physical and spiritual muscle for Christ and the finish tape of being in His presence face to face. 

v.15, 16 - Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you; however, let us keep living by the same standard to which we have attained.

Paul is calling for the Christians in Philippian church who are perfect or complete because of Christ's righteousness to have this attitude to press on for Christ.  If they have a different attitude, Paul asks for God to reveal that attitude that is slowing them down.  The revealing of that different or bad attitude is to let go of it so that the believer can run more efficiently for Christ and to Christ.  We have received salvation that is a perfect and full atonement for sin and so let's run our lives in a way that reflects that and not dragging along our "duffle bag of pride."

It is a great analogy that Paul gives us.  Watch a world class running race today and observe the runners and their focus on the finish line.  Think about your spiritual life that you are running and ask God to reveal anything that is slowing you down.  Lay hold, press on, to what has been laid hold of for you through the grace of God by the cross of Christ.  Let's pray. 

"Lord, too many times I have looked back, not to reflect but out of fear or the temptation to return.  There is nothing back there for me.  You have set my course and all I need is to get to You.  You cheer me on as I run and provide me the nourishment through Your Word to run this race.  Help me to keep my eyes on the finishing tape with You and Your open arms on the other side to receive me.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...