Monday reflections...after an important youth Sunday at OUC


A Sunday off but able to be in the church I serve is rare for me.  It usually doesn't happen this way.  If I have a Sunday free, I am usually on the road back from seeing some kids and grandkids or worshiping with them in their home church.  The opportunity to sit in my normal spot, front row pew right side, and to stay there as I listen to another bring the message from God's word is something I cherish.

Yesterday was one of those days.  The youth of the church under the leadership of our youth minister, junior high Sunday School teacher, and my wife who leads the youth worship team filled the hour + with music, interactive elements, video announcements, young men taking up the offering, a young voice reading the Scriptures, and a powerful message from our youth minister.  As much as I know this touches the hearts of the older generation who are praying for the younger generation to not only know Christ but follow after Him, I can't help but think about the impact on the even younger generation that are looking on.

How important is it for the early elementary to see their slightly older church mates and in some case some siblings given a space to serve God in this way?  Not that this would happen every Sunday, but with the discipleship training of our Sunday School department, after school children's program, and the youth group, it is so valuable to allow them to take a guided step to participate in this "up front" way.  To be a part on a "normal" Sunday, away from the "big" Sundays of Easter and Christmas, allows our youth to see themselves in a place they might be in the future.  

A good indicator of the health of a local church is when its children not only come to faith in Christ but then are allowed to use the spiritual growth training they are receiving and put it into practice.  I experienced this myself as a "church kid" of the Turner Free Methodist Church of Turner, Michigan in the mid 60's, 70's, &  early 80's.  I was given the opportunity to be a substitute Sunday School teacher of the younger grades when I was a 6th grader.  I am sure it wasn't much more than guiding them through some activity sheets and reading the Bible story to them.  What was impactful to me was that it started the process of being one who is starting to give rather than always on the receiving end.

Another great aspect of a service like yesterday's youth led worship is the opportunity for our workers to show the rest of the congregation what is going on behind the scenes.  Hours spent week in and week out are on public display for a short time so the rest of the congregants can continue to pray for the discipleship efforts of the church toward our children.  We can give a "pat on the back" per say to our teachers and show appreciation for their ministry to the next generation.  

Enough said about something that is important to me to throw back out again a prayer request for a Christian sister named Lisa.  She is having heart valve surgery this morning and I have a view 7 floors up in downtown Chicago.  "God touch Lisa today."

Adam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...