1 John 3:17-20 says,...

Today's verses are 1 John 3:17-20, which read,

v.17 - But whoever has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?

This is a great verse to follow what John said yesterday about the genuine Christian having love for the brethren as Jesus did.  Yesterday it was about the ultimate sacrifice of laying down our lives but today it is the practical side of sharing what we have with those of the church who are in need.  The genuine Christian is not selfish because he or she realizes that what we have to give of the world's goods is just that "the world's goods."  They are things that can be replaced and will pass away or we will leave behind when we go.  They are temporary and not eternal.  God is the master of providing to us what we need of the world's goods and sometimes we are the distributor for God to those of the church who are in need of them.  The genuine Christian loves greatly (lay down life) and practically (his brother in need).

v.18 - Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.

What I claim and what I do could be totally opposite but then that would make me a hypocrite.  I can claim that I have love for the brethren but if I never show it then it is an unproven claim.  Wouldn't it be better to not say anything of your love and show it to others and let them make that claim about you?  When Jesus is at the grave of Lazarus, those around Him made the claim that Jesus must have loved Lazarus much because He wept (did something).  We don't need to self-promote ourselves if we are true followers of Jesus.  Our actions that mimic His and bring glory to Him will produce whatever is needed in that particular situation.

v.19, 20 - We will know by this that we are of the truth and will assure our heart before Him in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things.
God is greater than our heart (feelings) and God knows all things (more than we know).  If we follow His ways, the ways that He commands us to follow, then we can know because of who He is, that we have assurance through God of our salvation.

What if God was not bigger than our feelings?  What if God was dependent on our feelings?  That is a very scary thought.  I may feel rotten, or insecure, or doubtful, or like a failure but God is still God and what He says is still what He says so I need to keep my God bigger than my feelings.  What I need to do when my feelings are taking over a situation is turn my focus onto God who created even the feelings and follow in spite of how I feel.
 
"Lord, how I feel has ruled my attitude and action so many times.  I realize when I allow that to happen it actually shrinks You and Your impact in my life by my doings.  Help me to continue to obey You when my feelings tell me something else.  God, You are not only greater but You are also the creator of me and therefore thank You for the assurance given through obeying You amidst my feelings.  Amen."
Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...