The tale of the bikes...

     The tale of the bikes starts back in 1980 when I bought a Miyata 310 10 speed that I rode the dickens out of.  One summer I put on the bike 2000 miles.  It traveled with me until last year when I sold it to a guy who restored out bikes.  That bike pulled a Burley trailer for many years with all 4 kids riding in it at some time.


     Next came our oldest getting old enough for full size adult bikes and Anna got a Fuji hardtail mountain bike and Abe got a Fuji front shock.  Needless to say, I got to ride these beauties from time to time on the local trails.  Those bikes went with them to college only to realize that they weren't getting used as much as they thought and they baked in the Texas sun.  I got them back to repair them but also use them for a few more years.  Then college was done and the bikes went back to the kids for different garages and lofts to call home.  


     Now I was without a bike to ride the single track trails.  So I came across this 1985 Schwinn Mirada in Traverse City.  It is all original and even had the plastic covers still over the emblems.  I got it for $75 dollars.  I got some great smooth tires from a friend and this became a great bike to ride around town.  It is only 15 speeds with not much top end but it rolls so nice.




     Next came a drive by the Goodwill store in town and I spotted this Trek 750 multi-trak.  I couldn't believe it.  I turned the car around and ran into the store to plunk down my $25 for the bike.  You can see right now that it doesn't have a saddle and some pedals.  (I sometime rob Peter to pay Paul but hopefully it will be all back together soon.)  This has 21 speeds and a lot of top end.  I have not been able to bury it on the hills yet.  For my trips to town (18 miles) this is the bike of preference.  




     Last is the most acquired gift from a friend.  I borrowed this bike in the summer of 2010 to ride the single tracks around town.  It is a Cannondale.  I replaced the cogs and chain and handlebars to get it ready for the Tour da Woods race up in the Upper Pennisula in September.  I rode that race from start to finish not knowing that I had full blown cancer at the time.  This bike held up through the rain and being coated with mud.  My friend got a bike more suited for her and so this came as a gift to me to hit the trails again.  I will be putting a different saddle on this one.




     I am thankful to say that they all were built in the USA.  Now to keep thes oldies but goodies going.


     In other news, CAT scan done today so I will wait for the results.  Sunday morning went great with just establishing the fact that we are not only to love our neighbor as ourselves but also to love our enemies.  This Sunday we will look at Jesus' solution of how we are to do this.  Again I am thankful for His example and also other physical examples in the Bible showing this in action.  Here is the quote I think was most memorable from Sunday.


"The test of Christian character in now how we treat our friends,
but how we treat our enemies."

     I have an upcoming men's retreat that I need to crave out some time to concentrate and pray about.  We are going to be looking at Biblical manhood.  It will be different than the ones in the past but hoping and praying that great spiritual growth will happen on many levels within the guys and among the guys.  I think I will take my bike to get in a ride.

Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...