Jesus, a minimalist?...Matthew 6:25-34...Eat, Drink & Wear

 



Perspective is always good.  I am sitting at Farview Curve on the Trail Ridge Road looking across the Never Summer Mountain range.  The pointed mountain on the right is Lulu Mountain and traveling down to the left to the saddle before going back up is Thunder Pass.  I can see where I was just a couple days ago.  Many times coming down the trail is actually more beautiful than traveling up.  Traveling up you have your head down and pressing forward.  Traveling down you can have you head up and you are leaning back a bit to maintain balance.  What you couldn't see before or were concentrating too much on taking the your step has come into view.  Is there something in this passage that Jesus wants to come into view as we travel along with Him?

Jesus tells His disciples not to worry about what they will eat; what they will drink; and what they will wear.  Jesus has them focus on the basics of life.  In school the answer was food, clothing and shelter.  These are the things that you need.  Jesus, the Master, will provide for His disciples "these things" so they do not have to worry about them.  He provides "these things" because they are valuable to Him.  He created them that way.  

The "these things" list is pretty small.  It doesn't include a 3 bedroom house and a 2 car garage.  It doesn't include a 6 figure salary.  It's doesn't include the latest technological gadget or some added toys to put in the shed constructed to house them.  Jesus list is minimal, the bare essentials, and He wants His disciples to seek something else while the rest of the world is seeking "these things."  

Do we expect too much from Jesus in the way of creature comfort?  Do we allow all the "other things" to keep us from seeking first His kingdom and His righteousness?  How would we do this more than we are right now?  Would we need to eliminate some of the "other things" we have acquired purely for our own gratification?  Have they become "my things" and not connected to being used by God for His kingdom and glory?  Last question:  Have we created a minimal standard that Jesus has to provide for us to keep following Him that is greater than His set standard of what we eat; what we drink; and what we wear?

God's word says if we find ourselves worrying, we should start praying a certain way.  We bring the requests to Him but we also do it with gratitude, thinking of all the ways He has already provided for us.  But how do I know if I am worrying or if I am concerned about something?  What's the difference?

  • If I am worrying, my focus is typically on self.  If I am concerned, my focus in on the solution.
  • If I am worrying, my motivation is driven by fear.  If I am concerned, my motivation is set on being faithful.
  • If I am worrying, my tone is usually distress.  If I am concerned, my tone has some determination.
  • If I am worrying, my action is being paralyzed.  If I am concerned, my action is a next step planned.
  • If I am worrying, the purpose looks it everything is going to implode.  If I am concerned, the purpose looks for there to be impact.
  • If I am worrying, my view of God is to trust less.  If I am concerned, my view of God is to turn to.
  • If I am worrying, the distinction or picture is a vicious cycle.  If I am concerned, the distinction or picture is of something constructive.

Am I worrying or am I concerned?  Jesus is speaking against living a life of worry that makes it impossible to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness.  Your great Master, Jesus, knows what you need and will provide it.  Let's let Him readjust our definition of need for His glory and for our benefit.

Adam 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

God gave us a good weather window to travel...yeah God!!!

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon