Sunday Reflections...What does a preacher do on a Sunday he doesn't preach?


It is a really odd feeling to not be preaching behind a pulpit on a Sunday morning for me.  I am in my 35th year of ministry and God has been working on me to better handle His Word for which I am very thankful for and humbled by.  This Sunday found Stephanie and I in not one but two churches.  

Churches are dealing with the COVID-19 crisis as we are back in Machias, Maine so things look very similar in practice.  Some are wearing masks, physical distancing is being practiced, orderly entry and exiting and hand shaking and hugging has its own warning.  I have noticed that because of these measures, it is very hard to get to know the people of the congregation.

The first church is the Grace Bible Church of Tampa.  It is not in Tampa but on the way from Zephyrhills off of the famous Florida highway 301.  It is about a 20 minute drive and we attended this church last year when we were setting up the mobile.  I also blogged about it here:  

https://pastorwolfgang.blogspot.com/2019/06/monday-reflections-of-my-sunday-at.html

We enjoy this church because of its Bible centered preaching and also for its reach to a community that is very diverse.  God has assembled His family that includes many races gathered together to remember His one blood shed for them all.  

From there we hopped on I-4 for a 20 minute drive to Plant City to attend the church of Stephanie's parents, 1st Church of God.  It was Father's Day so it was a pleasure to be with Stephanie's father on this day.  A different church in makeup of its worshippers and style of worship but also another gathering of God's children to spend time together on His day.  They have a new pastor who is very enthusiastic about the work of reaching out to their community. 

Today marks the start of another online master's class for me.  The summer classes offer no break in-between so I go from the historical books of the Bible to Paul and his letters.  It also is the class when finished in August that will mark the halfway point of this masters degree.  So I am reading textbooks, listening to lectures, taking weekly quizzes, and preparing for upcoming papers on my vacation.  A little "ugh" there but I will make sure it doesn't interfere with family time.

Last is a thankfulness to have time to walk the streets of Betmar Park.  Many of the mobiles are vacant this time of year and I can walk the perimeter and never see a car, maybe a golf cart here or there, but you can let you mind wander as you get in your daily exercise.  A time to think and pray and lately to listen to some great music and preaching on the local Moody Radio station offered here.  So I am off to make my rounds and start off my day.  In the picture above you see a fellow walker and the Spanish Moss hangs from many a tree here.

Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...