Monday Reflections, an urgent prayer request and a journey update


Good Monday morning to you all.  Have I mentioned that the sun rises here about 4 a.m.?  My walk to the church each morning is with the sun greeting me unless the fog has rolled in.  The picture is of the communion table at Machias Valley Baptist Church.  It is a stout piece of furniture.  I had the opportunity to share and lead through the Lord's Supper with another group of believers who confess that Jesus is Lord and He is coming again.


I want to get to the urgent prayer request.  Pictured above is a Maine forest ranger named Dustin.  This weekend he was in a terrible accident and was life flighted to Boston to face a 12+ hour surgery.  His superior is a member of the church here and asked for prayer Dustin and his family.  You have prayed before for the young man who was in the bombing in Syria who is adjusting to life and so I ask again for your prayers for this young father of 3.


I have had a full week.  I want to take you along for the journey of the IPM (Interim Pastor Ministries) process.  It starts with important conversations with as many as possible of the congregation from teenagers on up.  I hear salvation stories, their personal history with the church and what they celebrate and have concern about.  I will produce a report for the elders and newly created transition team of what I have heard and seen.  These conversations reveal what we should focus on prior to the call of a new under-shepherd of God's flock here.  I had 12 formal conversations last week and will probably have 12 more this week along with some "informal" ones along the way.

The picture above is one of many of a potluck thrown in our honor following the morning worship service.  This group of lovely ladies dug in a little deeper with me to hear why I was a part of this ministry.  It was refreshing to share the mission God has put on my heart for the local churches across this nation we call home for awhile.

I also had the opportunity to introduce myself and Stephanie to the children of Machias Valley.  A young man named Gabriel asked this question after he learned that my name was Wolfgang.  "Are you related to Mozart?"  I get that a lot but it also revealed a little of him and his family.  

I was invited to a men's group called Man to Man Downeast.  It was created around the opportunity to help others in need.  They sent a group down to help after Hurricane Katrina.  The group meets a couple Saturdays a month to pray with one another and offer mutual Christian support.  Around the table at the Bluebird Ranch Restaurant, I realized that of the 14 gathered, 6 ministers were present.  I am always on the "hunt" for local pastors and God dropped me in the midst of some.  

I am also attending the Gideon Pastor Banquet on Tuesday and also a regional pastor and church leadership gathering on Saturday so I hope to make some more connections on this level.  I have noticed that many the pastors of this area hold two charges and also work another profession.  They are dedicated to the gospel no matter the number of those who attend.  

One last contact that I pray happens is a call from the President of NBBI (New Brunswick Bible Institute).  The church has had a close relationship with this school for many years and I think it would be good to speak to this ministry that has sent speakers and special groups over the years.  The founding pastor was educated there and later taught there and some of the children of this church have also been students at NBBI.

I climbed another bell tower this week.  The East Machias Congregational Church houses not only a working bell but also a clock that is hand wound to keep it operational.  I was so high up, climbing ladders up 3 flights in the dark before getting to the light of the belfry that I admit, I was a little afraid.  I have been taking some pictures with my film camera so some will be coming of this historical structure.  

I also had the opportunity to help a young father who was helping an elderly couple of the church.  The couple had the blessing of a group coming in to repair the front of their home.  The left over debris needed to be taken away and he volunteered his truck, trailer and time to make it happen.  He needed my two hands and feet to help but I needed to see his heart of ministry. 

Saturday morning will give another opportunity to walk the wilderness of Maine with some of the men of the church.  I look forward to these times to see this team of godly men that God has assembled to help lead not only their families but also this church.  Maybe we will make it to Mount Katahdin someday, the northern starting point of the Appalachian Trail.

Let me close with the attachment of the sermon from Sunday covering Luke chapter 16 and verses 19 through 31.  Jesus walks us through some principles about heaven and hell and points us to the Scriptures as our source to know the requirements of both.  The Scriptures point us to the Savior and how will we respond to what is said of Him?  

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Adam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...