Ecclesiastes 5:1-3 says,...Bible reading, week 3, day 3

Today’s verses are Ecclesiastes 5:1-3, which read,

v.1 – Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil.

How often do you have a “blow up” on Sunday morning on the way to church?  Did you ever wonder why that happens?  There is Satan not wanting you and your family to go but if he can’t get you to not go then why not make you miserable on the way and not prepared to worship when you get there.  It is so important to “guard your steps as you go to the house of God.”  It brings up how we prepare ourselves so that we can come near to listen rather than just go through the motions of religious rituals.  This reminds me of the passage in Isaiah 1 I read Sunday morning which is the answer to Jesus’ question in Luke 6 of to do good or do evil on the Sabbath.  It is pretty clear what God thinks about the sacrifice of fools.  Isaiah 1:11 says,

“What are your multiplied sacrifices to Me?”  Says the LORD.  “I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of fed cattle; and I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs or goats.”

Are you guarding your steps as you approach your time of worship?

v.2 – Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God.  For God is in heaven and you are on earth; therefore let your words be few.

Many times we question God to be like us rather than us to be like Him.  Solomon reminds us that we are on earth, human, limited, finite, and God is in heaven, spirit, unlimited, and infinite.  We need to watch what we say before God and before others and it is good advice to “let your words be few.”  A recent popular song is titled after this scripture.  It is written by Matt and Beth Redman and it says,

You are God in heaven and here am I on earth
So I'll let my words be fewJesus, I am so in love with You

And I'll stand in awe of YouYes, I'll stand in awe of You
And I'll let my words be fewJesus, I am so in love with You

The simplest of all love songs I want to bring to You
So I'll let my words be fewJesus, I am so in love with You

At times God interjects where He is and who He is and where we are and who we are like He did with Job toward the end of the book.  Sometimes we need to listen and read so that when we do speak it is in line with God rather than opposed to Him and what He directs us to do rather than seeing if God is going to follow where we are going. 

v.3 – For the dream comes through much effort and the voice of a fool through many words.

I am a day dreamer.  I get all kinds of crazy ideas that go through my head that are grand and tremendously out of reality.  I excuse it by saying I am an idealist but some of my day dreams are just for the telling rather than the doing.  Maybe they are there for others to get a good laugh at and me too.  We can be tempted to think more of ourselves and talk up ourselves more than we are.  “Man is basically good” or “We are all good” are catch phrases that fly in the face of Scripture.  We have “talked” those up so we have generations who believe that getting to heaven is for those who are good people or who have become good enough.  Eternal life in heaven is all about what we do rather than what God provided through Jesus and what Jesus has done for those who He loved before He was loved.

We strive to make ourselves look good and sound good but we are born in sin and in need of a Savior who is the only One who is good.  He graciously takes us in to forgive us and transform us to be like Him.  He provides the family of God who we are to love as we love Him.  His forgiveness continues as we stumble and fall with daily sins that need to be confessed before Him and sometimes others.  May we not strive after a dream and speak many words of ourselves but may we strive after the reality of Jesus and speak many words of Him.  Let us pray.

“Lord, what a fertile ground Satan has on Sunday mornings.  Help us to put in place those things that will help us to gather with the saints in a way that is pleasing to You.  May we get our rest the night before.  May we rise to read and hear Your word on the way to church.  May we be reminded of our blessings both physical and spiritual.  May we not allow Satan a foot in the door to our time of worship because You are so worthy of all of our praise.  May our words be few about us but many about You.  Amen.”

Pastor Adam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...