Philippians 1:19-26 says,...

Today's verses are Philippians 1:19-26, which read, 

v.19, 20 - Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body whether by life or by death.

Paul is in prison but he is rejoicing.  He is rejoicing that Jesus Christ's name is being proclaimed by those who love and support him and those who despise him and thankful that he is in prison.  He is rejoicing because the gospel is not hindered by prison walls and chains and also that the gospel is not hindered by critics and ungodly motives and agendas.

Paul either has a confidence in his salvation which would probably be a given but maybe this means that he has a confidence in his release from prison this time.  He has the Philippian Christians praying for him and also the provisions of the Holy Spirit.  Paul must be seeing the Spirit working that is leading to a soon release.  He is acknowledging that this is of God because only God could do what He is doing.

The term "earnest expectation" means to stretch out your neck.  Paul is stretching out his neck to see above the crowd to see what is going to happen next by God.  He is anxious to see how Jesus will be exalted through this whole process and is willing to give his life to see Jesus raised high.  Paul will live for Him and Paul will die for Him.

v.21-24 - For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain.  But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose.  But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.

Paul sees the benefits of both worlds.  He also tells you which is better which is to be with Christ.  He realizes that he is here for others to continue to live for Christ.  The recognition of both situations for the Christian keep us living life for Christ as we look forward to eternity with Him.  If I don't have my eyes on eternity then I will have my eyes on myself here instead of others as I am commanded.

No matter if Paul dies or if he lives, his whole life is summed up in Jesus.  What is the meaning of life?  Jesus.  What is your purpose in life?  Jesus.  What is your mission in life?  Jesus.  What are your goals in life?  Jesus.  What is on your bucket list?  Jesus.  Paul is a one answer kind of guy and because of it he can be in prison for the sake of Christ and still rejoice and keep focused on loving God and others and not be whining about the maybe bad food and unsanitary conditions. 

v.25, 26 - Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith, so that your proud confidence in me may abound in Christ Jesus through my coming to you again.

Paul is at the fork in the road and he sees the benefit of dying and being with his blessed Lord and calls that the better route but also sees the lives of the Christians if Philippi and the work to be done in their walk with the Lord.  He is still alive and will be released so that he can continue on discipling them and even in person.  His release will be an event of joy given to God and for God because of His hand in the matter.  What some of these reunions must have looked like when Paul entered back into the home that the church met in!

I don't think we have the weight of thought at times that Paul had about our lives.  Our lives and our deaths as a Christian are all about Jesus.  When we put our hands into His hands, He directs where we go, what we say, how we treat others, what we take in, and the list goes on.  I am either living for Him or I am dying for Him.  There is no other option for the Christian.  I think we think we can take a break or that there are some super Christians like Paul and the rest of the apostles and then there are some lesser Christians like us who can be less committed to Christ and that is okay.

It is not.  Actually a lukewarm Christian creates a lot of problems for themselves and for others and for the church.  Mixed messages send mixed messages about Someone, Jesus Christ, who wasn't mixed at all.  He was leading the way into Jerusalem to die on a cross according to His Father's will.  Ask yourself today, if someone was to ask me about my life, would Jesus come out in the description of who I am?  Would Jesus come out first?  Or would He be buried in a phrase like "well I go to church too?"  Let's pray. 

"Lord, Paul's straightforward talk here to the Philippian Christians challenges us to examine how we live our lives at home, at church, at school, and at play.  Does my life reflect You in all areas?  Help me to clearly focus on You so that my life will be lived for You and my death will be witness of You as I go to be with You.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...