Psalm 91...God's action...Man's response

 


I think I have always put up a picture on my blog of the study space provided for me and here is the newly one developed at the Waushara Community Church.  It will be a great space for the next pastor called here.  This study space and the pulpit are like my workbench with all my tools around me.

We finished our month of passionate prayer and now move onto initiating relationships and being in consistent community.  In each of the prayers we looked at on Sunday mornings and also on the final Sunday evening we noticed that they were God-focused and also included the gospel.  I walk away from this time asking my Father to remind me to acknowledge Him early in the prayer and also to speak the gospel event as the will of God for my life.

Psalm 91 is sometimes called the Soldier's Psalm/Prayer.  It is printed on bandanas and also on cards that are given to the soldiers before battle.  It is ironic but also appropriate that entering a dangerous situation a call to God for protection and provision is given.  Danger is all around and the reader of this Psalm acknowledges it but also responds to God's faithfulness with dwelling, resting, saying, trusting, not fearing, observing, seeing, saying again, making, treading/trampling, loving, acknowledging and calling upon the Lord.  

We see the prayer being God focused with calling Him our shelter, shadow, refuge, fortress, the One who saves and covers you, is faithful, a shield and rampart, a refuge again, a dwelling, commander, guard, lifter, who rescues, protects, answers, be with, deliver, honor, satisfy and show you His salvation.  Very God-focused.

We see in the prayer the gospel also.  A rescue to those who love God and acknowledge who He is.  Who are these people?  Those who call upon God.  I hear Romans 10:13 here.  God will be with, deliver, and honor us with a place in His family.  We are adopted in to receive eternal life because we have been shown God's salvation through Jesus Christ.  

Even in this dangerous world we have a God who ultimately protects and provides for His own.  Sometimes that leads to physical death but for the child of God it only means a step into the spiritual realm where God has provided a place for us at His table.  If we physically die we don't die without eternal provision from Him.  I think many times I and other Christians do not have a long enough view of our existence.  We fall into the trap of thinking just about this world and not the next.

  • So do I trust God more than anything or anyone?
  • Do I fear God more than anything or anyone?
  • Do I love God more than anything or anyone?
  • Do I call upon God more than anything or anyone?
  • Do I dwell with God more than anything or anyone?
If I do, I should not be surprised to see God work miraculously at times where I am just the observer; where I am fearless when others are fearful; and where I tread upon the unthinkable because it is not me but only Him.

Adam




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...