Initiating Relationships and Being in Consistent Community...Mark 1:14-45

 


This is a beautiful sunrise on a recent fishing trip with my friend from the church, Mike.  I try to not pass up these opportunities to be with those I shepherd in different environments than the four walls of the church.  It was a great day to be on the water.  A few fish to bring back home but some precious hours sharing life with someone God brought in my path to love and to be loved by.  

This month we focus on the Jesus' discipleship practices of initiating relationships and being in consistent community.  We go to Jesus directly to see how He started forming a group with a specific purpose in mind.  He called His first disciples who were fishermen to "make them become" fishers of men.  

7 principles or practices of Jesus I pulled from this passage:

  • As Jesus walked beside...the principle that as we go we initiate these relationships that bring us into community with one another.
  • Without delay...the principle is that we respond more quickly with a first step toward those God has put around us.
  • Jesus went into the synagogue...the principle that our gathering with other ones who love God is crucial.
  • They went with...to the home of...the principle that these relationships require us to go to their turf at times and maybe initially.
  • Jesus...went off to a solitary place...the principle just as important as the gathering with other believers is our alone time with God.
  • I am willing...the principle to follow through on the Great Commission that has us acting outwardly rather than inwardly.
  • Yet the people still came...the principle that hinderances will come in initiating relationships and being in consistent community but don't let it deter you from ditching the whole effort.
My new prayer is...

Father God, open my eyes to see and my ears to listen and my hands to help and my heart to love for those You have put around me.  Amen.

Adam



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...