Ecclesiastes 2:9-11 says,...

Today's verses are Ecclesiastes 2:9-11, which read,

Then I became great and increased more than all who preceded me in Jerusalem.  My wisdom also stood  by me.  All that my eyes desired I did not refuse them.  I did not withhold my heart from my pleasure, for my heart was pleased because of all my labor and this as my reward for all my labor.  Thus I considered all my activities which my hands had done and the labor which I had exerted, and behold all was vanity and striving after wind and there was no profit under the sun.

Solomon continues his summary of what he is going to explain more fully about and the conclusion that it was all vanity, striving after the wind, and of no profit under the sun.  This passage was hard to read because there is no mention of God anywhere.  He, God, seems to be void of the process that Solomon is going through.  He isn't recognized in relationship to nature or human ability or resources or pleasures of life.  His Word is not referred to in the process.  Solomon is going on a quest that makes no mention of God.  

Here is list of Solomon's quest for meaning:  he looks for meaning in his fame that he has exceeded all those who had preceded him in Jerusalem; he looks for meaning in his wisdom; he looks for meaning in pleasures that he can see; he looks for meaning in pleasures that stir the emotions of his heart; and he looks for meaning in his accomplishments through this labors and the rewards that come from those labors.  

"We're number 1!  We're number 1!" that would be fame.  "I am a doctor now don't you know.  See the letters after my name." that would be wisdom.   "It is okay for me to look as long as I don't touch." that would be eye pleasures.  "I deserve to feel good and have happiness" and "I just want you to be happy." that would be heart pleasure.  "Look at what I made and see the plaque that has my name on it." that would be labor pleasure.  All of Solomon's quests have modern day examples of how we strive to receive fulfillment and pleasure apart from God.  There truly is nothing new under the sun.

I remind us that we are talking about Solomon here so what he was participating in was in such a grand scale to anything that we would participate in.  We would have to multiply the way we are trying to find meaning and pleasure many times over to reach the heights of his abilities.  The adage that "more is better" proves again to be wrong because Solomon had 7 chapters of the Bible to describe his resources and he still came up with vanity, striving after the wind, and no profit under the sun.  The increase of these things do not bring lasting satisfaction and satisfying substance.  Something is missing or rather Someone is missing from the process.  

What if you had a reputation and many people knew you but it was because you followed after God and you spoke of Him more than yourself?  What if you had great knowledge that you put into the action of wisdom but it was attributed to a reflection of following after God's instruction?  What if you had the pleasures of eyes and heart but it was what was right and pure and holy as the Apostle Paul instructs us to think on these things.  What if our physical labors were actually a tool to help other people serve God and in turn reach out to others with the gospel?  It wasn't your name on the project but God's because it pointed to Him and not to you?  God in the process changes everything that is just vanity to us.  

We seem to want attention.  We seem to want glory.  We seem to want a pat on the back.  We seem to want others to know how good we are.  We seem to want a reward for what we have done.  The first question of the Westminster Shorter Catechism is "What is the chief end of man?"  The answer is not what I just wrote or said but to, "glorify God and to enjoy Him forever."  Maybe that old song comes to life again sung by Carly Simon "You're So Vain."

You're so vain.  You probably think this song is about you.
You're so vain.  I'll bet you think this song is about you.
Don't you?  Don't you?

Hit it on the head Carly of what Solomon is going for in this Scripture passage.  Let us keep our eyes off our ourselves and onto God today.  Let us pray.

"Lord, how we look for fulfillment and pleasure away from You.  We think the grass is greener on the other side when we are standing in Your front lawn.  How Satan can paint a picture for us to participate in that which in the end leaves us empty.  Remind us that You came to give us life and life more abundantly.  May we point to You today for any pleasure and meaning that has come our way.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...