Question devotional...

Today is an in between chapter devotional.  On Monday we will start chapter 28 of Proverbs.

Over the summer we had a combined adult Sunday School class that looked at having spiritual conversations with others.  We covered the 9 arts of spiritual conversations which were:  noticing, praying, listening, asking questions, loving, welcoming, facilitating, serving together, and sharing.  It was a great class with a lot of discussion and by the end we were sharing some stories of noticing, praying, listening, and etc.  

I don't want this to go cold in me or in the church so I keep searching out material to push myself and the church to keep the arts going.  I came across a great little video that spoke directly to the listening and asking questions part.  I will link it here:  http://seanmcdowell.org/blog/what-are-the-best-questions-for-spiritual-conversation

Sean McDowell is the son of Josh McDowell.  He gives us some great questions for spiritual conversations.  The first is:  "What do you believe?"  This question could be about anything.  "What do you believe about God?  What do you believe about Jesus?  What do you believe about church or Christians?"

The next question is crucial.  Before answering back what you believe you ask the question, "Why do you believe these things?"  Before giving your input you listen some more to more information about the formation of their beliefs.  You will probably hear some great information that will help with your response if you get a chance.  It might even change what you were about to say.

Then hold you tongue a little longer and ask another question:  "Who has most influenced you spiritually?"  Another variation could be,  "What book or event has had a great impact on you?"  You are going to receive more background information that is probably going to be a help to understand where the other person is coming from.  All this time you are listening with those ears that you could recite back to them pretty much word for word what they are saying to you.

I know that sometimes I speak to quickly.  I ask the first question but then I think it is my turn to speak.  Maybe I am not going to speak at all on this occasion but just listen to my friend answer all these questions.  Maybe this is a time to pray for God's wisdom when I do get an opportunity to share my answers to my own question with him or her.

Another good question that Sean gives is, "If there is a God, what are the biggest questions you would ask Him?"  I did this question at a local restaurant recently and I got questions that were common but then I got some that had a lot of emotion behind them.  You could tell that the person was struggling with something and my heart started melt to whatever they were carrying.  It made me want to ask them the next question to get more information of their hurt so that I could somehow help if possible.  All that just from asking questions and listening to their responses.

We live in a world that is always giving its opinions and points of view.  As Christians we have the Bible that directs us on how we are to live and therefore our answers are patterned after it.  Are we patient enough to listen to their answers to offer God's answers when they are asked for or the opportunity opens to speak with grace, truth, and love?  

I am praying for more opportunities to ask questions.  I want the conversation to last longer and to go deeper.  I want to have some prayer material to work with that will help me to answer their questions more tailored to them.  We have a message to share that is the greatest message of all time and getting to that message might be quick or it might take a while.  Let us pray for God's timing and His words that will speak directly to the individual that is before us.  Let us pray.

"Lord, how we love to speak or how we never speak.  Help us to hold our tongue, use our ears and help us to loose our tongue when given the opportunity to bring You glory.  May we notice those around us.  May we start praying for them before we ever know them.  May we listen attentively.  May we ask questions that allow them to honestly answer.  May we bless them with acts of kindness and love.  May we welcome them into our world and be welcoming to them.  May we facilitate so that they feel included.  May we have opportunities to serve with them side by side so they can observe us in action and not just our words.  May we have those opportunities to share what You mean to us.  Thank You God for coming and answering the cries of Your people.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...