Proverbs 21:9-12 says,...

Today's verses are Proverbs 21:9-12, which read,

v.9 - It is better to live in a corner of a roof than in a house shared with a contentious woman.

We think of roofs a different way than they were then.  The roof was another living space.  It was typically flat and resembled a patio space.  So the person in this proverb is using just a corner of the living space that is available and exposed to the elements.  The house proper provides more shelter and space but it also contains a contentious woman and of course we could change this proverb around to be the other sex.  Being contentious is the point.

The word "contentious" comes from a root word that means "firm, strong, lord, and master."  On top of that you add another word that means "to judge, content, and plead."  Putting them together you get the description of someone who produces strife and discord with the constant judging as someone superior than that other.  Are you a contentious person?  Am I at times?  You want to escape from the presence of someone like that and so you endure a little space and the elements as better than the enjoying the luxuries of life while enduring this type of treatment.  You escape to that place of peace.  The point of the proverb is to not be contentious, man or woman, and see what those actions do to others.  I don't want my wife living on the corner of the roof and I don't want to live their either.  I want us in the house together enjoying all that God has provided and not to drive others away but rather closer.

v.10 - The soul of the wicked desires evil; his neighbor finds no favor in his eyes.

When we have our hearts set on evil others get in the way.  If I don't get what I want then I will walk over what God says and anyone else who opposes me.  I will discard even logical, experienced knowledge coming from people who love me to do my own thing.  I have been on both sides of this equation.  I have been the person who has blown past what God and others have been telling me in the form of wisdom to follow and did my own unrighteous thing and I have been the person run over and cast aside while trying to reason with the one who is walking away from God rather than to Him.  This proverb, like the previous one, gives us another person not to be.

v.11 -  When the scoffer is punished, the naive becomes wise; but when the wise is instructed, he receives knowledge.

Both the scoffer and the wise are dealt with.  The scoffer who is foolish receives punishment because they are doing something that is wrong.  The wise receive instruction because they are striving to live in the fear of the Lord and continue daily in that path.  The results are the simple or naive becoming wise when they experience the punishment of the scoffer who is receiving what he or she deserves and gaining knowledge when they experience how the wise receive more instruction.

We have been just given instruction about being contentious and having a soul that desires wickedness.  Will we scoff at it and have a life that drives others away and runs over them to get our way or will we hear the instruction and want people close to us and in good relationship with us?  The simple or naive are watching and learning.  We are all teachers.  The question is what kind of teacher are you?  Are you one the repels people or draws them near?

v.12 - The righteous one considers the house of the wicked, turning the wicked to ruin.

What do we do when we see the wicked around us?  Do we consider the house of the wicked meaning do we discern its long term effects and be prudent to steer clear?  We see not only what is immediate but also what is out on the horizon of this type of lifestyle and rejection of God.  These wicked actions lead to ruin.  The wise see this and consider it and wisely understand the situation to go with God rather than with an immediate satisfaction for the selfish heart.  "I can see where this is going" is your assessment and the great thing is that God gives us the other picture in His Word and tells us where it goes too.  We don't have just the bad but also the good if we will open up our eyes and ears to hear it and apply it.  This is the whole purpose of the book of Proverbs.  We receive these wise sayings so that we can understand how to live a godly life that is pleasing to the Lord and it will end up being a wise one.  Let us pray.

"Lord, You continue to give us word pictures that we can take with us.  Forgive me for the times I have driven people away with my attitude of contention and run over people with my selfish plans.  May I not be punished but rather someone who is receiving instruction to implement.  May I never forget that others are watching and learning from my actions and that I have the ability to see the big picture because You have provided it for me.  Following after You who is teaching me to be wise is the wise move.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...