Ephesians 4:17-19 says,...

Today's verses are Ephesians 4:17-19, which read, 

So this I say, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, being darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart; and they, having become callous, have given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness.

The book of Ephesians is full of these long sentences and tomorrow brings another long one to show the contrast to this one.  Paul has been speaking to the Christians in the Ephesus church about the transformation that has happened to them.  The transformation is because of Christ and the cross and it brought salvation and also a gift of the Holy Spirit.  Through the equipping gifts given by God we are prepared to use our gifts within the body of Christ to see it built up in the love of God and to also see maturity come upon us as we serve Him.

Paul now takes a look back at what they were like.  They had futility of mind, darkened understanding, hardened and callous hearts toward God, seeking sensuality, and practicing impurity with a greedy mindset.  They were walking or this was the standard conduct of life in their lives before the transformation had come upon them.

I stopped here this morning without going onto the next sentence of contrast because I want us to take a good look at this list.  As a Christian, I can see myself at times still visiting some of these qualities on this list.  If I do visit this list it is because I have done something with my relationship with God.  I have set aside Him from His prominent place in my life.  I have allowed other things to come into my life that have pulled me from living a transformed life.

You know who is behind that don't you?  Satan loves to get Christians to think it is futile.  Satan loves to get Christians to have darkened understanding because they have set down the Word of God or rationalized it to be less that the voice of God to us to follow.  Satan loves to get Christians to develop hardened and callous hearts to God and therefore allow sin to not look so bad and therefore participate in something that is so focused on self on not on Christ.

If you are here as I have been at times, you need a good shaking from God to wake you up to who you are following.  "I have been shaken by God this week" could be something that comes out of your mouth as you realize that you are not living as a Christian, someone who is claiming Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God.

The Christian will continue to struggle with these things because Satan will continue to present them as an option but God has provided a way of escape for us from going down that road.  The way of escape is Jesus and His word and His church and the Holy Spirit given to us to be actively involved in to continue to prepare us to walk in a way that gives glory to Him.  When we need a good shaking from God it is because we haven't been taking that way of escape given by Him.  We have ignored or set aside what God has given us to be prepared to live in this world of sin and to live victoriously in His name. 

"Lord, what have I set aside that has gotten me into sin that I wouldn't have been in if I would have stayed with the way of escape provided by you?  May I realize that all that you have given me is a gift that I need to use everyday and those gifts were given out of love from You to me.  Those gifts make the transformation transparent for all to see who truly is my Savior and my Lord.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...