2 Corinthians 6:11-13 says,...

Today's verses are 2 Corinthians 6:11-13, which read,

v.11 - Our mouth has spoken freely to you, O Corinthians, our heart is opened wide.

There were some of the Corinthians that opposed Paul and his companions.  There were some of the Corinthians that we undermining the teaching of the gospel and even speaking ill of Paul and his character.  Paul doesn't attack the person but continued to proclaim the truth that needed to be embraced that was being torn down.  His mouth spoke freely of the gospel of the new covenant to them and as he spoke freely it came from the heart.  His heart of love for them was actually enlarged to not drop this church as a lost cause but to send another letter and plan another visit to continue to make the gospel message clear.

v.12 - You are not restrained by us, but you are restrained in your own affections.

Paul is not forcing them into something.  He is just being an ambassador for Christ and informing them of the new covenant and the truth of God's grace.  What is restraining them or has them in a choke hold are the other idols of the world.  Decisions have been made in their lives that are tying them into a slavery that leads to death and not unto life. 

v.13 - Now in like exchange--I speak as to children--open wide to us also.

Just as a decision was made to follow evil or the ways of the world, Paul appeals the Corinthians to follow the call of God as a decision to follow good and the ways of Christ.  As children, they followed the leader or leaders that were leading them away from the truth and Paul is asking them as children to follow a new leader in the way of everlasting life.

I think I give up too easily sometimes.  "Well that didn't work" and so I go quickly onto something or someone else.  Maybe in those situations I need to ask myself if I truly love what I am trying to do or the person that is before me.  If I truly love it or them then that love for them or it is going to continue to grow and it is hard to love from afar or with less involvement.  Is my heart enlarging for those around me for them to hear and see the gospel of Christ through me when God opens up those doors of opportunity?

Who am I following?  Who is my leader?  Maybe a critical look at my life is needed to see if my leader is truly Christ.  Maybe a survey of my spouse or trusted friends to ask what they see when observing me walking this life is needed.  Don't do this to validate yourself or to argue with the results but to change lines if needed because it is easy to get out of Jesus' line of follow the leader.  Satan is a master of getting people to think they are in the Jesus' line when really they are not.  Maybe some added input is needed from godly counsel on a regular basis so that the affections you have are of Christ and seen that way and not some affection of the world that has crept in and taken residence.

"Lord, a Monday morning to apply maybe what was learned on the first day of the week.  A Monday morning to continue to set my heart and eyes on You and to continue to follow You as my leader.  A Monday morning to test if my heart is enlarging for those who You have put around me.  A Monday morning to be willing to be used by You to speak in Your name to others freely when You open the door.  May I be in tune with You so that I see them.  Amen."

Pastor Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...