What does it mean (practically) to love one another in God's family...

     I just got done preaching my 9th sermon on the Olivet Discourse (Jesus' last sermon to His disciples outside the temple in the garden about the end times) in chapters 24 and 25 of the gospel of Matthew.  His last illustration is the sheep and the goats.  The difference is that the sheep loved the people of God in basic ways and in turn loved God and the goats did not love the people of God and therefore did not show love to God.  This vertical relationship with God is seen horizontally with our relationships with others, namely the church and then beyond.  I must question my relationship with God if I am not actively loving those God has put me with in the church because when I love them I love Him.

     So I left church really in a funk because I think now I know that maybe I didn't give enough practical application of what "that" looks like.  What does it look like to love the church "that" way?  How can I gauge if I am really loving the church?  So that is what I am going to attempt to do here, give some bullets that lets me know if I really love the church and therefore really love God.

     So lets start off simple - what about getting to know their names?  I think this would fall into Jesus' phrase "I was a stranger and you welcomed Me."  "Yeah Pastor we need an updated directory."  I don't know how many calls I get about someone wanting the number or the name of someone in church that they think I should know but they haven't taken the time to get to know their name.  I think it would be a great start to come in next Sunday and look around and survey who don't you know.  Put the pride and embarrassment aside and do it for the Lord to get to know that person's name - write it down - whatever - because it is hard to love someone if you don't know their name and you are describing their characteristics or where they sit and hoping the other person will have known.  I think this is a good place to start.

     Now let's work down Jesus' list in chapter 25 of Matthew.  Next would be "I was hungry and you gave Me food, I was thirsty and you gave Me drink."  So when is the last time you had someone new at your house or out for a meal or did you sit with someone new to you at the last potluck?  Sometimes preparing a meal for another is something that doesn't need to be planned or have a committee assigned to but could just be the ticket to show the love of God to another.  "Wow, I don't have to prepare a meal that I thought I was going to have to prepare, why would you do that just for us?"  Because it is a way that the Lord says will show love to Him when you feed and maybe add some fellowship to another in the body of Christ.

     "I was naked and you clothed Me."  Do you have clothes in the closet that you are not wearing or grown out of?  So should we save them for the next garage sale or should we offer them up to those within the church that could use them?  Sometimes "naked" could mean someone who feels ashamed by a past and needs someone to come alongside of them and clothe them with grace.  We all have messed up and some of those mess ups are more public than others.  How do you treat someone in the church who feels "naked" about something that they did and is sure you know about it and wants to make them even more ashamed than they feel?  Confession is a lost art in the church and therefore we perceive each other as "perfect" when we are really not.  So how are you at approaching those in the body of Christ who are "naked" ashamed and showing them some grace?  You start by confessing where you have sinned and be vulnerable with your brother or sister who is feeling down.

     "I was sick and you visited Me."  This is another lost art of the church.  We don't have time to get sick and we don't have time for anyone else that gets sick.  Believe me, I don't want to see anyone get sick and I want us to live lives that are healthier all the way around but I know that many opportunities to tend to those who are sick are missed.  It seems unbelievable with all the modes of communication that we have but you would not believe how a call or message means now that we have swung the pendulum the other way of avoiding those who are bed-ridden or recovering from something.  What are you going to do when you hear that someone is sick or in the hospital from the family God has put you in?  Will you call?  Will you find out if there is something you can do for them and their family?  Will you send off a card to pick up there spirits?  What will you do?

     "I was in prison and you came to Me."  I guess you could be in prison someday for the sake of Christ and I would hope that we would come and visit and tend to those in that state.  But what about someone in our ranks that feels that they are in prison to a situation beyond their control or a break away from a sinful lifestyle that has consequences that have followed them.  They are making strides for the Lord but the dirty laundry is still hanging around.  They are doubting and struggling to stay strong for the Lord and how do we treat them?  Will you listen to their struggle and comfort them through the consequences and give graceful truth to continue on with the Christ-like walk?  Will they not stand alone?

     We love one another so God can use it to expose those who are hungry and thirsty and a stranger and naked and sick and in prison spiritually come into His kingdom through the message and love of the church.  This may seem like an inward action (loving one another) but Jesus says that it will have outward impact.

     Just some thoughts to end the sermon with.  I hope these are helpful to put some legs to the body of the sermon on loving one another within the four walls of our (His) church.

     Here is the video from Sunday that finished our time in Matthew 25.  Keith Green was sure was a great example to follow in loving his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.  I know that I need to step up my efforts in reaching out to those who are closest to me.

Pastor Adam
    

    

Comments

  1. Adam - The last couple of Sundays I have noticed many new people in our church and do not know their names and thought I should get to know who people are. I was filling out the attendance sheet a week ago and finally asked a man what his name was as he approached me. He always wore the same jacket and the same hat and as he walked away from me I looked at the back of his jacket and his name was printed in big letters advertising his business. I had seen this man for a couple of months and never noticed that...sometimes we just have to put our guard down, pay attention to things around us and get to really know people. Thank you for this reminder. Love You & Stephanie! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed the reminder too. I can get in my little groove with my little group and miss so many people by being too busy with my little world. Thanks for the comment.
      Adam

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...