Bible Engagement...part 2...Matthew 18:12-15, 20

 


By Patisserie - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25849465

Nobody loves confrontation but can we back it off to conflict resolution?  Conflict resolution within a body of believers is so important to have in place.  Jesus gives His disciples the guideline of how to proceed forward in Matthew 18:15-20.  Jesus gives us the steps but He doesn't give us the time frame between each of the steps.  I am going to gather that it is longer because of grace than our instant culture demands at times.

In the context of the passage Jesus is presenting a flip flopping of thinking to His disciples about their view of who is the greatest among other things that have taken the religious world in the wrong direction.  Jesus also stresses the seriousness of sin and being in "search" mode rather than "stab" mode.  As the shepherd searching for his lost sheep there is an "if" to actually retrieving the lost one.  In regards to God there is a "not willing that any should be lost."  Any of our illustrations always come up short to the completeness of God.

When we get to verse 15 of Matthew chapter 18 (LSB), we are back to the "ifs."  

Now if your brother sins,
go and show him his fault,
between you and him alone;
if he listens to you,
you have won your brother.

I brought out 3 "p"s this Sunday in this verse, postures, positives, and party. 

Our posture is so important when we are engaged in a Matthew 18:15.  How is my physical posture?  Am I showing physically that I am attentively listening?  How is my mental posture?  Am I reminding myself that who is in front of me is a creation of God and also a part of my spiritual family?  How is my emotional posture?  Am I in tune with the emotions of the other person?  How is my spiritual posture?  Am I thinking of God's word to guide me in this conversation?

The positives are great when we take the first step (and hopefully only step) of Matthew 18:15.  We have the possibility of the avoidance of the temptation and fulfillment of other sins.  We have the opportunity to forgive, to seek forgiveness, or to clarify what was said or not said.  We have the opportunity to have continued family opportunities to serve and love one another.  

The party is a possibility and in the midst of the party is God Himself.  Verse 20 (LSB) says, "For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."  Why?  Because His children are taking sin seriously and also taking His words, Scripture, seriously.  

Someone asked why I didn't go to step 2 and 3 of the passage and it was on purpose because I want us to get to step 1 and focus on how we should be going into that conversation.  If we don't go into step 1 right, we probably won't conduct step 2 or 3, if needed, right either.  So many times we bypass Jesus' instruction and do things our way or rather the ways of the world rather than the ways of God.  We miss out on better communication (postures), possible beneficial outcomes (positives), and a great celebration with some of your church family and God Himself (party).

I keep praying that the family of God keeps falling in love with God and each other more.  This takes a great emphasis on the discipleship of each other by being with each other.  

Adam



Comments

  1. The messages & thoughts that you cant has the sharp ness of the Lord ‘s Word.
    Therefore keep on , keeping on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...