Finally sitting down to type...an overwhelming Sunday in Ohio!

I really do want to see as many of these Sundays as possible.  Why?  Because it means a local church is at its best by being God's discipleship making machine to the world.  When we gather as brothers and sisters in Christ to love God and each other then the atmosphere is set for Great Commission work to happen.

This was the transition/receiving/installation service at Weymouth Community Church in Ohio.  It was Sunday, May 1st, 2022 and the last one I was apart of was on Sunday, January 10, 2021 at the Machias Valley Baptist Church in Maine.  The Scriptures used by me were the same, 2 Timothy 4:1-8 and Titus 2:11-15, but the story was different that found us at this point.  I enjoy telling the story because it allows us again to say and sing, "Behold Our God!"

At the end of this blog post I will post my part of the service and then Pastor Chris' part of the service.  You will hear the Scripture and the story and then you will hear Pastor Chris' first words to the congregation of WCC.  One of the things you will hear is humility and that is what I coach the Search Team to look for.  If I have not said this before, thank you for praying for Stephanie and myself as we continue in this type of ministry to churches walking through a transition.  

I am already in talks with a possible next church in Wisconsin.  I am thankful for the time in Florida to walk and think each morning.  Multi-tasking seems to agree with me.  Right now the music is playing in the background while I am thinking and typing.  While walking around the sanctuary of WCC on a Wednesday night prior to prayer meeting a sermon was coming together that I think will be my candidate weekend sermon Lord-willing.  

It comes from Acts 1 and here are the 5 points I am working with.  It is about what is needed as a Christian or a church goes through a transition, planned or unplanned.  

  1. Obedience in the plain things - v.12
  2. Scripture prominent in guiding us - v.16
  3. Stay on mission - v.22
  4. Prayer is essential - v.24
  5. Remember God is sovereign - v.24
There are the bones of the message.  Peter and the disciples are going through a transition.  Jesus who was with them for 3+ years had ascended into heaven before their eyes and now they are waiting for the Holy Spirit to come as Jesus had promised.  It probably felt like an unplanned time for the disciples even though Jesus made it evident that this was part of the plan.  Whether a Christian or a church going through a planned or unplanned transition what is needed?  
  • You need to continue to be obedient in what you know.  
  • You need to go to the Scriptures for your guidance and keep it prominent.
  • You need to stay on the mission that God has given to us as His children.  
  • You need to increase your time in prayer.  
  • You need to keep reminding yourself that God is in control.
So this will be rolling around in my head for the next month or so before I get to deliver it.  Pray I do this passage justly and accurately according to its context and interpretation for application.  Also, I need to work on some alliteration here.

Adam (from 90+ Florida)

My part:


Chris' part:


 

Comments

  1. Enjoyed listening to the service. Great to see God's hand throughout the process! Well done Adam!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will miss Adam and his efforts to find our church a new minister

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connect a bit of Scripture with a bit of life - Spurgeon

Galatians #15 - Galatians 6:11-18 - "On The Road Again..."

Sermon prep and maybe a video...